Design experiment - your comments please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockandroller, May 17, 2003.

1. Here is my latest design experiment, I just handed in the blueprints for it today.

It will be ready-to-play in less than a month!

The actual bass will be FRETTED and have black chrome hardware. The pickups will be custom wound with wood covers. It will be oil finished, then waxed a bit. I made this a medium scale, as the long scale version ended up too big to fit in any standard bass case!

This design was inspired by a concept drawing that I recently gave a little input on for a friend in England. Back in February he made arrangements to have Alembic build him a VERY VERY VERY deluxe bass and he wanted it to be somewhat reminiscent of the famous Entwistle "Buzzards" (as built by Warwick, Modulus, and Status).

Anyway, here is another angle on it... your comments are greatly appreciated!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The headstock looks a little dangerous, but I like it a lot more than the Buzzard. Still kinda wild for my taste, but it could be very striking with a figured wood top like you show in your blueprints.

3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sweet! I like that a lot more than the buzzards.

I really love the headstock, and I think if the body was a little more "fierce", like the head is, (maybe some slightly sharper angles or something) then it would be more unified.

eh, whatever, it looks great!
  4. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    how much for a ash version painted black? Seriously, i would buy one if it was all black, im not into the fancy woods either. Hit me up if your intrested in building one for a price.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It looks lovely, but it's going to neckdive like crazy.
  6. I like the "swoops" in the headstock. It compliments the body very well.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I wouldn't get caught with it in an airport.
  8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I agree with the others. I like this shape better than the Buzzard's. Kind of wild, but very cool.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Peter's Buzzard"

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I agree.
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think it's neat!
  12. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't know about that, since the peg can be placed in all manner of different places, and even if it was on the horn, it is somewhat close to the body, so that would raise it a little.
  13. Thanks for all the comments!

I am encouraged that some of you like the headstock, since its actually my major 'original' contribution. (The body design was already close to its current form when I started working it into a scale drawing.)

The body shape is actually about 45% Roger's (the guy who is getting it built by Alembic), 50% Susan's (Susan Wickersham, head designer for Alembic), and maybe 5% input from me, just tweaking the contours a little on Roger's behalf.

The other playing around I did when making my rendition for Roger was designing the large headstock for it. Susan designed him a very interesting headstock, but when I put it in my scale drawing it seemed too puny compared to the enormous body, so rather than play around with it I just made something different.

Roger felt my headstock was too "agressive" so he is going to stick with Susan's headstock, which I really do like a lot. It will be very interesting to see how Roger's Alembic finally turns out!

It was just coincidence that I had finished playing with Roger's sketch the day before my employer announced he planned to build a "Warwick Thumb" for the trade show next month in Petersburg. He told me a "thumb copy" would be out of the question, (since Warwick also has a booth at the show!), and asked me if I had anything "interesting" that might work in a bubinga and wenge bolt-neck format...

Most of my subsequent "design work" was just putting the body into a scale drawing for a bolt-neck and rebalancing it so it would fit into a standard case. I did play around with the body contours a little more, just to make sure that it won't be exactly like Roger's upcoming Alembic.

Susan said it should balance pretty good, with the long upper bout like an explorer. She said their "Exploiter" models were among the best-balanced of all Alembics! So I expect it will be alright.

I am looking forward to watching my drawing 'come alive' in the coming weeks... I will try to post some construction pics :)
  14. a couple "work-in-progress" pics...

15. [​IMG]

(a better look at the Bubinga)
  16. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    looking good so far!

do you have a picture of the headstock that will be used instead of yours?
  17. On Roger's Alembic? I havent seen the final design, but it will be loosely based on this rough sketch:

(see attached file)
  18. a couple more 'work-in-progress' pics:

19. [​IMG]

more news in a week - im going on holiday :)