1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Design flaw by Leo???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Oct 23, 2009.

1. I don't know why.Seriously,I have NO IDEA why this gets on my nerves like it does (What can I say?I'm VERY picky!!):But,here goes......

Output jacks:Mounted on the FRONT(?!?!?) of (some) basses!!!

EXAMPLES:

Fender Jazz
    P-Bass
    And.......Alembic "Spoiler"!!!!!

It just DOES NOT MAKE SENSE (to me),to have a jack mounted on the top/front of a bass.Hell,same goes for guitars ,too.

I see no benefits,whatsoever,with the output jack mounted on the top of a bass.

I know,I know.You're thinkin',"Why so pissed,Steve?"
    I just think it does not belong on the top of a guitar/bass.It just gets in the way.And,it just hampers it's looks,also.Plain & simple.

My Story:(I'll make her short'n'sweet.)

Here I am,playing at a bar one night.Things were goin' great.Lots of ladies,P.A.sounding great,band's tight & the pay is good.The club was absolutely packed.TIGHT!!The crowd's gettin' into it.A real "Madhouse!!"You know,the works. (Isn't that what we all want,gig-wise??)

So....Here I am.Stylin' 'n' profilin' and playing a newly acquired ALEMBIC(yes,Alembic!!) "SPOILER" 4-string.

I'm playing,playing......Playing.Really gettin' into it.To the point where I'm admiring my own playing!!
    (Now that's REALLY gettin' in the "zone",when you do that.Or,you have a big-assed ego!!Take your pick....)

Gee whiz,Steve."What could ever go wrong?"You ask."Things are really clickin' for you during your gig!!"

WELL......

How about me stepping on my cable,jerking it AND the output jack out,along with a big chunk of very highly-figured cocobolo out of the bass???(Yes.I DID have the cable running UP AND OVER my strap,too!!)
    Is that good enough for you??Figured so....Go ahead!!Laugh about it,you know you want to!!

What caused this mishap?? Is it "MURPHY'S LAW"(Google it,kids)???Or bad design???Opinions???Here's mine:

I just think an output jack on the front/top of a bass or guitar really affects the looks of an instrument,too.IMHO,I see no benefit whatsoever,by putting the jack in this location.
    Do you???

Does it make a bass function any better in this location???Not that I'm aware of.If so,enlighten me.

As a matter of fact,there's been MANY,MANY basses that I have balked on.Simply because of the output jack location on the top of the bass.I would've already snatched up a Brubaker Brute 5-string,if it wasn't for the location of the output jack......Dammit!!!Oh well,I may have to make an exception.I need a nice "mid-priced,bar/club bass" bass to play out with.

So,dare I ask........Did Leo Fender make a "boo-boo" by putting the output jack in this location????What do you think???

If you disagree,list the benefits of the jack being in this location.

I hope you all (builders especially) state your opinions on this tragic error,IMO that Leo made.

PEACE,
    Steve

2. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I don't know about the design flaw, but that is by far the best post I've ever read.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I use a cable with a right-angle jack that plugs into the guitar, and then run the cable through one of those leather loop strap mounts. This provides a strain relief.

Don't get so excited -- just plan ahead.:D

4. Personal preference, dude.

I personally consider it an advantage - for the simple reason that I can put my axes into my guitar rack without unplugging them. Every other point is exactly the same.

If you step on your cable on a regular basis, may I suggest a wireless?

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What does Leo have to do with Alembic? Did I miss something?

6. A right angle plug would have prevented the problem, friend.
    On instruments with pickguards or control plates(Precision, Jazz) it's cheaper and easier to do it that way. Less woodworking, and the electronics can be fully assembled on the bench, before installation in the bass.

7. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Leo likely put the output jack on the front of the bass because that's the cheapest way to manufacture them.

8. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Pretty sure it is easier to just throw a pickguard on with a jack in it then drill a hole through the side. Probably why Leo did it so.

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I prefer the input on the top... the jack on my starfire is the sole flaw i see in it.
    Thing is, straight up, I enjoy sitting on the floor (preferable a nice fuzzy rug) during mellow jams. It's just the most comfortable thing for me. With the jack on the side of the bass... not so much :/

10. Excited??Excited?!?!?!!Here's how to get excited:

Go purchase a brand-spankin' new Alembic,for starters.Then,within a months time,have a 3/4" chunk of cocobolo jerked out of it!!

Heh.Now THAT'S excitement,my friend!!

As for wireless gear??Nooo!!!Hate the tone.Too thin/nasal-ly sounding,imo.

11. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Out jack on the side with a standard cable makes it awkward to sit on down and play.

12. i like strat-style, on the front but angled away

13. xbmedic

xbmedic

Aug 24, 2009
    Hilo, HI
    I use the Zzyzx Snap Jack cables because I have mangled some output jacks by stepping on cables. They disconnect on before they destroy your jack. Sorry about your Alembic, brother.

14. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Get a wireless.

15. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Bwah, ha, ha! ! ! Dork!:D:p;)j/k

I use right angle cables to prevent that exact situation.

16. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    But leo didnt make albemic did he?

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Actually, Leo's first design 51-57 P Bass and Telecaster guitar had the output jack on the side of the body.
    But I always use an angle jack cable.

Sorry to hear about the chunk o' wood.

18. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Heresy - burn the witch - no actually great post! I think crijan is right - Leo was trying to make good cheap(ish) mass produced instruments. I don't think Alembic counts as cheap or mass produced, so why did they put it on the front?

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I really like having the jack in the front, having it in the side would always lead to the occasional bent cable plug.

20. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Sounds more like an Alembic glue problem than a Leo design problem. That's a bummer though. I'd call them up to see if they can get you fixed up.