1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Design input requested

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hasbeen, May 13, 2011.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Hi Folks....I hope you're all well. I need a little input..if you don't mind. And I apologize that it might seem mundane.

Anway....casters. If a 4x10 cabinet weighs less than 70 pounds, and it has a "smallish" size for a 4x10, does it need to have casters?

The reason I ask is because it is tough to find a good "solution" for casters. They are either expensive, a pain to use or fragile and ineffective.

Thanks for any input.

2. I will never own a 4x10 without casters or a hand cart of some kind, but that is just me. :)

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It'd need to be around 55lbs for the mass market not to want a caster option. Just my opinion based on helping a lot of guys carry their crap and so on.

If it were me running the company I'd say invest more time in getting lighter plywood and more durable coatings and less time on casters.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yeah, I need casters on a 4x10.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO anything over 50 lbs warrants a hand truck or other sort of wheels. I "can" carry up to 100 lbs or so, but I don't particularly want to, especially if it is big and bulky like a 4x10.

I guess as I think about it further, I would rather use a hand truck than casters, just because of the bigger rubber wheels on the hand truck. The exception would be a cab/combo that was built essentially like a hand truck, with a metal bar handle at an ergonomic height.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks Bongo et al. I guess that is one thing we're wondering...will people use hand trucks anyway. Some of our competitors are doing "lightweight" cabs without casters and they off them as options.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    yes....we are investing LOTS of time in other design elements.

8. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    It's not just the weight; bulk is also a factor. Any 410 - even if "smallish" - is going to be an awkward one-hand carry, or a two-hand carry. Either way, I've got a one-item trip. Casters make it a rolling platform, upon which smaller items can be stacked. If I liked the cab enough, the lack of casters would not keep me from buying it, but I'd add them before I gigged it.

I have a nice folding cart that I never use. Not my thing, I guess. For me, it needs to be an easy one-hand carry, or have casters. And they need to be good, rugged casters.

9. From a marketing point of view I would think that offering casters as an option would cover everybody. Some people have hand trucks to do the work. Others have relied on casters for years and don't see the need to add another piece of gear into the rig (the aforementioned handtruck for example).

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    My 55 lb TL606 is reasonable to carry due to the narrow width but the same weight in a 4x10 profile is much less desireable. I suppose many don't like the look, but I much prefer a 3" caster for easy rolling over rough sidewalks or parking lots.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    One thing I would like in a commercial 4x10 is staggered woofers so the width is 20 inches or so. Would really alleviate the bulk v factor. And improve dispersion.

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't want casters on a 4x10 if it were under 55lbs. They just take up extra room during load-in and load-out (I've got a small Toyota Corolla). It would need some very solid handles though, not those spring-loaded handles that most cabs come with.

I do agree that an option for casters would be a nice touch though that would satisfy consumers who are on both sides of the fence.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are those removable casters, of course--so all cabs could be shipped with the sockets installed, and the casters could be sold as an accessory. That's how Euphonic did it, back when I was using their cabs.

14. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Pop-out casters actually were the ones that I hate the most. They seem to be the most breakable, as they can fail at the wheel/ball bearings or at the pop-out joint. Go over enough cracks/seams in the concrete and bye bye casters. Two of my current cabs have them, but I never use them and instead I use a cart to get all my gear from place to place.

15. I've always believed in casters on anything that can't easily be picked up and carried like a suitcase. Pop ins are fine with me. I've never had one break. I would also say a 3" caster sure beats a 2" one.

Casters also make changing stage (or room) position much easier.

16. Total OT veer to say that I used to have a pair of the Lange's in your avatar...one of the best boots I ever had!

17. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Worthy of a separate thread, but tying back to the question... a 410 with a fridge-like form factor could have corner wheels and a tilt-back handle on the back. Win.

Agreed. I'd rather have no casters than pop-outs.

18. +1 Maybe a staggered vertical 410. Same handle and caster setup as the Neox 212T.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    :D I've worn Lange and Fischer boots for 35 years. I'm sentimental about the garrish blue color.:oops:

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks for all the input guys....it is greatly appreciated.