Design is finished....opinions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KAOSBass, Jan 11, 2006.

1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    This is a rough photoshop of the bass I'm building. this pic has a quilt top but I'll be using Maple Burl.

Ash body
    Maple Burl Top
    Wenge Neck neck thru
    Cocobola Fretboard
    24 fret
    35" scale
    EMG soapbars
    HBE custom 3band preamp

Attached Files:

2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    looks like a bass alright. :D

Shouldn't the fretboard be darker if it's cocobola?
  3. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Yea but I couldnt get it to look right in another color.....

Hence the "rough photoshop" :)
  4. If you turn the illustration to vertical, you'll see that your neck is somewhat off-centered. It gives the bass a top heavy look when it's horizontally oriented. I noticed it when my eye was drawn to the large void area in the body above the neck but under the top horn. Shifting the neck up (or left in vertical) will help balance the look.
  5. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Good catch I knew something was wrong I just couldnt put my finger on it....
  6. How is this not just a double hb jazz bass again? Not poo-pooing it, as I think it's fine...but I'd hardly say it's a new design.
  7. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    other than the offset I like it and the and the arch top desghin set it appart from the jazz. my self I like to carve the bass horn further down the neck
  8. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas

I didnt claim it to be totally original, it's just a new design for me, I've been doing J's and P's for a while and I just kind of married the two body styles and added the soapbars...
  9. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    it looks like a disfigured jazz bass to me. its fatter and less curvier!

it doesnt look as slick as the normal jazz