Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Design Plans for 2 x 10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skin, Jun 22, 2003.

1. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    I'd like the plans to build a 2 x 10 w/horn cab that would tilt back, so you could hear it on the floor or stand it on top of a 15 or 18 cabinet!

Has anyone done this? What drivers did you use? What would you different if you could?

Ideas, opinions, and comments all appreciated!

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    As far as the tilt-back design is concerned, it's just carpentry; the speakers only really care about the internal volume of the cabinet.

You want one to work solo or on top of a 15/18. Do you plan to bi-amp?

If you want to drive the cabinet and expect a full-range response it's different requirements than as a box that just does highs.

For just highs Eminence B-102's are a nice choice in driver and probably wouldn't need a horn but they roll off pretty fast under 100hz.

Otherwise, it's a matter of how much lows and volume you need. Low response and sensitivity are mutually exclusive, so you have to decide how you want to balance those features.

I guess the other thing to decide is cost for the project. You can buy speakers for $50 - $200 each and you get what you pay for.

3. i think carvin makes a 2x10 tilt-back

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've built 2 bass wedges that have 2x10's. The first was just a reverse engineered Eden 210XLT but with a different horn.

The second was a lighweight made with 2 P.Audio SN10MB's. . They've got neodymium magnets so they're extremely light. Furthermore, the entire 2x10 cab is only 36 litres and weight 14kg so it's tiny.

It produces very little under 75Hz so I made a passive High pass filter to remove the frequencies below 75Hz. I used inductors with an iron core which was a bad move. There's a little bit of distortion when I push it hard. I've had trouble finding air-core inductors locally but have just tracked some down. I'll have to make the trek and pick them up soon.

I also made a wedge with a single 15.

All three wedges were cut so they can stand in the traditional upright position as well.

I had some photo's but seem to have lost them when I moved house. I'll have to take some more but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so it could take a while.

5. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Appreciate the replies... where did you get the size and proper tuning of the cabinet?

I would bi-amp it through my R600.

I'd let a 15 or 18 take over the bottom, but have the 2 x 10 take the midrange/high punch.

Have you ever considered changing the angle of the 10's and having them tilted inward at a slight angle so that it they spread the sound in a wider arc - or is that necessary?

There was a crazy Trace cab with 3 10's that did that (2 x 10tilted in, lower 10 tilted up).
    Check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535884001&category=23794

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I calculated the size of the cab using the Theille /Small parameters and the formulas in the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. I used WinISD to tune the ports and to check the group delay and SPL graphs. I also ran a program called DOS Box Modeler to check the speaker cone excursion graph. I scraped together some knowledge from TBers like Bgavin, Geshel, Joris, and a few others....

One of these days I'll invest in a single program that does it all, but they're not cheap. So I'm making do with whatever free bits I can get from the web.

I did think about it. But the frequencies the 2x10 would generate are directional. If the 2 speakers faced outwards (ie opposite of that trace cab you mentioned), it would sound funny when you stood in front of the cab. Standing to one side would sound better but you'd only hear one speaker at a time. You'd also lose the effect of the speakers coupling with each other which may or may not be an issue, depending on how low your 10's will go.

But tiltin them inward is even worse. That Trace is a bad design IMO. Pointing speakers at each other causes phase cancellation.

If you plan to Bi-amp, I'd also recommend those Eminence B-102's........ they're made for it!