1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Design programs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by max3, Sep 28, 2008.

1. max3

max3

May 14, 2006
    What programs are people using to design all these cool body shapes? I like the ones that actualy simulate wood.

2. Jeronimofesto

Jeronimofesto Luthier: JC Basses

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I just use Photoshop for the most part and sometimes AutoCAD to get the initial shape since I find it easier to draw in AutoCAD.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    First I use a sheet of paper and pencil then I go to AutoCad. I did that for my first project. For the second one I exported those cad 2d drawings into SketchUp so I can work in 3D with them. Ill keep the Cad drawings so I can get full scale blueprints for templates.

4. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    The Gimp - much like photoshop except open source (and free)

5. I've been using Adobe Flash for mockups. The resulting drawings aren't great for scale but they do show an approximation of the final product.

6. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Adobe Illustrator is great, you can make your design to scale and print it out to use for templates. It's a vector program so you can zoom into any of the design detail or zoom out to the whole design and it won't pixelate.