1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Design Programs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass-Adrenaline, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I know a lot of you guys on here just get an idea in your head and draw it out by hand. Well, id like to design a bass to either build or be built for me in the future. I know i could do it on paper but id like something where i can easily make changes and have everything laid out for me as i go.

Anyway, i guess im looking for any suggestions as far as programs go that are free (or cheap), easy to use, and really pretty basic. Right now im not concerned with exact measurments or anything like that. Just basic shaping and design aspects.

Im close to just getting a large whiteboard in my apartment. lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Solidworks has a decent free 2D design package that you can download off their website. Pilot uses it for designing. I use autocad myself, but I got it for free.

lowsound

3. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
  4. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI

Google Sketchup. 3D Modeling program. It's free and a trip to use. You'll love it. It has a huge library of all kinds of stuff already modeled. I discovered it about a month ago and redesigned my music room and my workroom... Look in the 3D Warehouse for modeled bass guitars or effect pedals or mixers or band saws or......????? Play with it for a day. It's addictive and there is about a gazillion tutorials on You Tube also.
    Tell me what you think... ;)
    Tim

5. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I actually downloaded it and can see it has potential. I just have to figure out how to do everything. I dont know how to easily cut, curve, and round edges and cant figure it out.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  7. +1, I'd never used any cad program, and in about an hour I already had a 2d design of a bass. I believe it's really easy to do.
    What I could not do is find a way to change measurements/ scale of the design...
    the other problem I had is that I went to a couple of places to print out the design, but they didn't have this program so I couldn't print it out.

8. Save it as a .dwg, they should be able to open as that. I have never liked sketchup, as I find it very limiting, but then again, I am used to AutoCAD and SolidWorks, which are much better and much more expensive.

lowsound

9. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Yea, I did too. But it ain't free. IIRC it's 67 euro's (about 100 bucks I think) to the folks who are already signed up... pre-release thing I think, not sure. I'm gonna wait... My motto is "If it's free, it's for me and remember to say Thank You!"

I like Sketchup and I'm getting the hang of 3D modeling, but I'm gonna checkout that emachineshop http://www.emachineshop.com/index.php program that Stevetx mentioned.

edit: I checked it out and I decided I'm going to pass. I don't want to waste the effort I've spent learning Sketchup. (Just in case I'm running low on brain cells!)
    ;)
    Tim

10. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Window - Preferences - Template
    I think that's where you set the general units of the model ie: inches, millimeters, miles etc.

I been using two monitors to keep the reference manual open in one monitor and then I can draw something and spin it and look at the bottom then the side etc... It freaks me out!!! It's really fascinating.. It amazes me!!! Draw the neck and body to scale and then tilt the neck back to see how it affects the string height, and stuff like that. Very kewl.
    ;)
    Tim

11. Thanks for the tips guys!!!

12. mlambir

mlambir

Sep 2, 2010
    To scale the whole drawing you need to use the tape measuring tool.
    Here is a youtube video that explains how to:

13. that did it! thanks!