Design Question(s)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andvari7, Jun 11, 2005.

1. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    When designing an instrument, and you have a neck finished (whether it be a pre-built or otherwise), have you ever had the instrument builder's equivalent of writer's block? Every time I try to design a body for this neck, the headstock kills it.
  2. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    Yup, trying to be different-ending up a copycat....
  3. Hermit

May 31, 2005
    LI, NY
    Jus' keep drawing. After ten or so crumpled pieces of paper, you're bound to come up with something that works.

That said, if you're not dealing with a premade neck, it's probably better to draw up the entire bass in one sitting.
  4. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I've had that before, only normally its as if i've got ideas, i just can't draw it correctly, and normally it's with bodys. If you've designed a headstock before that you really like, i'd suggest just repeating it, thus establishing a trend.

I've done that, and it's become sortof like a signature. that way i can change the body shape, neck size, pretty much anything, and you'll know it's made by me because of the headstock. Like Fender or G&L, you'll always know who built it by looking at the head.
  5. Well then do what I do - change the headstock! Alter it slightly or radically but make it work.

But it would be a rare thing for me to find myself in that situation. Planning is the key.