Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Design the Perfect Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Wheeler, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Here's the thread:

If you were King - and could have someone "Design the Perfect Amp" - what would it be? Keep IN MIND - although you're the king for design, the poor musicians are going to have to pay for it, so unneeded features need to be dropped.

More specifically what features would it have, for example:

-- Great sound (this is hard to define - so don't spend too much thread time on this)
    -- perhaps a signature / colored sound and a switch (or even variable knob) to a "clean" / uncolored" sound.
    -- One Channel is all that's needed?
    -- Two Channels? If so, is a foot switch needed, or just use this feature for two different instruments?
    -- Simple EQ, Bass & Treble only?
    -- Complex EQ? Multiple or Single or no Parametric? Flat Switch?
    -- If you use Parametrics - what frequencies are most useful?
    -- Compressor? Limiter? Other Effects?
    -- Effect Loop, or "I never use it, so don't waste money here"?
    -- DI out?
    -- Mute Switch?
    -- What Wattage? Is Stereo / bi-amping really useful?
    -- ?? (your ideas here!)

2. Basically, if I could design an amp, it would have one input, one volume and one big switch labeled "great sound" up front. At the rear panel it would have two speaker outs. :bassist:

Yep that would be it. :cool:

3. Don't forget about the light-weight. :D

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    My perfect amp would be a lightweight hiwatt DR201, or a lightweight SVT.

5. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Anything I could type here would just describe the perfect amp that I already own. The Eden WT-800..........God,I love Eden. :cool:

6. I would love it if my SVT-3 Pro had two gain knobs that would be footswitchable (one for low gain clean settings, the other for overdriven sounds). That'd be perfect for me...

7. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    K some of this is on cloud 9 but this is what I think god plays bass on

rackmountable
    1000 watts 4omhs
    simple EQ Bass Mids Treble
    Svt sounding Drive or Tube nob
    Presence Nob
    Di Out with level nob
    Mute
    Light Weight but very durable (cake and eat it too)
    a switch that would let you use just the preamp for recording
    maybe some kind of magic switch(s) that optimized the amp for different cab setups (410, 115, 212, 810, ect, ect)
    switch for optimized sound on different types of basses (4string 5 string, active or passive pickups, humbuckers, Ps Js)
    built in digital tuner
    built in wireless system
    :)
    Bi Amp capible
    a light to light up all the Nobs during shows
    basicly this thing should sound perfect with all EQs set at 12 o clock just the natural sound your bass makes to perfection.
    a very distinct color like all metallic blue with white text and blue-white LED lights.

it would also cost 1 dollar and only people 5 bass strings or less could buy it.

8. Well I am King and I'd guillotine any subject attempting to reinvent the SVT (which is perfect). End of story. Next!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, here would be my list:

- 800 watts, min., into 4 Ohm
    - 2 Ohm stable
    - flexible, easy to use EQ with multiple types of controls (for example, the fairly common approach of low and high shevling, with 3-5 bands of parametric EQ - and ideally, I'd like full bandwidth, vairable Q parametrics. A variable mid-boost, like Mesa uses, is nice, as is the one-knob "global" EQ, like "Enhance" on Eden and ThunderFunk
    - 2 speakon and 2 1/4" speaker outs (or just the speakons)
    - at least one effects loop, preferably several with options like pre/post EQ, side-chain, etc.
    - pre/post EQ DI, with level control (and make it a quality DI!)
    - unbalanced line out, with level control (for slaving another amp)
    - give me a high quality compressor, but leave the limited off
    - mute switch (with footpedal control) is a must
    - tuner out, that stays "hot" when the mute is engaged
    - 2-channel is nice, but 1-channel with footswitchable EQ and volume boost (via a separate control) would do the trick, too
    - no need for stereo or bi-amping, although a variable crossover to send a low or high signal to another amp, and use the built in power section to power the other (low/high) would be a great option
    - with the EQ set "flat", the amp should be as transparent as possible (if I want coloration, that's what EQ's are for!)

That would get me started, I guess. To have all of the above would be great. If it were also light weight, that'd be nice, but of less concern that getting all of the above. Convenient size would be more important to me than convenient weight.

Tom.