Design your own bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I thought this would be fun...

Ok, pretty simple here, Design your own bass, Pick the Wood for the Body, the Neck, the different kinds of wood, the Pre amp, Pup's, amount of String, Color, anything you can think of that makes the 'perfect' bass for YOU. Feel free to be as creative and detailed as you want.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Someone just made a thread like this, entitled "your dream bass" or something.
  3. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    why do you guys do this!?!? is there like a GAS conspiracy???? ok here it goes.
    single cut fretless Ken Lawrence ah well here is a pic of something I want....
  4. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Are you kidding? I want a new bass everytime I see a bass :confused: Did you get that? I always want a bass, This site is killing me, I had a dream going to buy a bunch of basses, it was horrible, when I woke up, I wanted to cry because I didnt see any of those basses in my room... I wish I was rich:(
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I already have. :)

Conklin 8 String
    Sidewinder body style
    Bolt-on Neck
    Solid Body
    35” Scale
    Gold Hardware
    Maple / Bubinga Neck
    Cherry body core
    Spalted Maple Top
    Clear coat finish
    Conklin Signature Pickups
    24 frets
    Macassar ebony fingerboard
    Hipshot Ultra-light Tuners
    Centered dots inlay
    Demeter 3 band preamp

And again...

Conklin 8 String bass (Low F# to high F)
    Sidewinder body style
    Bolt-on neck
    Hollowbody construction - 3"
    34" scale
    Gold Hardware with Q-Parts abalone pearl capped knobs (maybe the red abalone.. have to wait and see how the finish comes out.)
    Purpleheart / Maple Neck
    Dragonwood body
    Deep, Deep, DEEP Wine red sparkle finish
    Fixed Bass Bridge (16.5mm spacing)
    Same nut spacing as on my first 8 string (1/4" edge-to-edge)
    24 frets
    Maple fretboard (subtle flame, no inlay)
    Purpleheart fingerboard binding
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Carved Top
    Conklin Signature Pups
    Demeter 3 band preamp
    Headstock cap

..No pics yet though.. :(
  6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Looks nice, Congrats on that bass.

How's the string spacing? It looks 'close'.
  7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's in the specs...

16.5mm at the bridge... 1/4" edge to edge at the nut..

Not too tight.. Well, not for me anyway..
  8. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    prog... i hate you...;)

lets see..
    6string in the style of a CT'ish scroll'ish bass with same kind of bridge shown in attached pic.
    Walnut body with maple binding and a really nice Coco Bolo top.
    A nice fat Hard maple neck(thru body) with 2 walnut stringers with a brizilan rosewood fretboard and a BIG Eye of Horus symbol on in the middle of the neck(eye it self would be on the 12th fret) made of koa. 36' scale
    And a standup bass style headstock(if it's even possible..) like shown bellow
    Gold hardware
    sept for the half a dozen knobs wich would be koa with an abolone circle on top.
    2 EMG-DC active's with a koa cover.

*I may or maynot edit this with better details :p

So... anyone want to build this for me as a gift. I would really appreciate it!!!! :D ;)
  9. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    that kind of headstock..

*sorry for the spam.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well... I had been gasing over an early 50's P or a 70's Tele bass for a long time. Problem was I play 5 string basses so vintage was out.

I started specing a Warmoth slab bodied P deluxe 5. Then I catch a thread about Chris Benavente building himself something real close to what I was dreaming...

Slab body 51 P styles 5
    34" scale
    20 fret
    20" radius
    3/4" spacing @ bridge
    Swamp Ash body
    Maple neck & board (no face dots)
    translucent white w/ red tort
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz V w/ 3 band pre
    etc etc etc

Just like ProgZilla, I found what I like best...
    I've got a fretless 6 version of it coming soon.
    Same specs but...

6 string
    stablized birdseye fingerboard
    translucent blue
    Suhr dual coil in the 'Ray sweet spot
    Suhr 3 band pre

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've done this already...uh...let's see (counts fingers) 8 times :), all but 2 of my conklins, including the doubleneck. check this out...

those are the pics that i drew of the doubleneck that i then sent to bill conklin to build the thing.

shoot, then you don't even want to talk to me :)
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  13. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    That would be me and it's because some of us have amibition. It is my intention to see my own line of basses being talked about in forums like this. Won't happen right away, but it is my intention to own and run an instrument mfg company eventually. Starting with basses.

Your participation in these types of threads helps me to know what it is that people look for in a bass so that someday I can provide you the best bass for the money. Btw, I am not the same person as the guy who started this thread but I will use any info this thread provides so that I can someday release a superior, highly desirable product. Maybe he has the same idea.

So please be patient with us. I'm trying to provide you with exactly what you're looking for in a premium axe.
  14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Anything new on the burner yet, John?
  15. I was thinking that if I was bored enough i would make myself a bass with soapbar, jazz and mm style pups side by side from the bridge to the end of the fingerboard. I'd also have a p style pup somewhere in the middle there. Of course there would have to be about a million switches/pots on that thing. It probably wouldnt look very pretty, but I'm betting that it would be "fairly" versatile.
  16. yeah, i dont have photoshop on this computer but i made this little mockup in ms paint so...excuse the mess. The body shape would be close to the stingray shape since i love it so much, but I would freehand the shape myself.
  17. Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    You have an idea similar to one I've been toying with. I soapbar up front, a P-type passive in the middle and maybe some piezos on the bridge.

3 volume pots. The last two would have ring knobs to adjust tone. The first one, which operates the soapbar would have a three band EQ as separate knobs--easier that way. No toggles necessary. You can mix, adjust or cut-out any pickup by adjusting the volume pots accordingly.

This would be for a fretless. Don't know how it would sound.
  18. i was thinking that i could put a volume knob about an inch under each pickup so i wont have to count at all to know which knob is which, and then either just a tone knob or a 3 band eq if i can find a decent preamp that isnt too expensive. My only problem with this design is the bass wont be pretty. :meh:
  19. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Oh yes how could I forget, only person in the world to own so many finely crafted custom hand built exotic basses that it would be considered a fire hazard.
    and you have a nice couch :mad: