1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Designer Submarine signal placement question?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tigerbass, Apr 17, 2010.

1. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Just got my Designer Submarine and am wondering where in your signal chain do you think you get the most out of this pedal? Before effects, after, in between? I have a full compliment of pedals, as most of you know. Where do you feel it will help OD/Dirt/Fuzz the most?
    I know, it's up to me, and I am going to experiment, but I just want any ideas in case I am missing something obvious! ;)
    Thanks in advance for any direction and/or pointers!!
    Cheers all!! :cool:

2. At first I got mine primarily to beef up my fretless bass at the front of the chain but lately I have been using it at the end to drive my power amp into speakers where it will likely stay. IMO you will get the most bang at the end.

3. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Very interesting...let me try that. I have been experimenting with it at the beginning only so far. Just finally took a break to see if anyone chimed in and you did. Thanks for that! ;)

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'm running two Submarines. The first one is the DE and it's at the very beginning of the signal chain. My goal for that one is to use it to shape my instrument's tone and act as a buffer to give enough juice to the rest of the effects without losing tone from the cables and such. After the DE I'm running into an OC-3 then a Gemini which is followed by my second Submarine, a mkII. I use that Submarine as a speaker sim for the Gemini to either brighten or dull the distortion tone. I also use the second Submarine as a slap boost/brightener or cut the tone all the way for some dub. Other times I'll Submarines to similar settings and run both in series. Double your pleasure or something like that.

5. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I don't have the DE but I have the original yellow one. I always prefer to put it after my Muff and OD's. Whenever I feel like chiming my Boss GEB-7 (seven band EQ) in the mix I put it as follows: Distortions-->Submarine-->Boss GEB-7-->Delay.

I like to go from broad tone shaping to more specific. In my experience you don't get a whole lot of variability out of your distortion with the EQ before it. But yeah, like you said it's always up to individual tastes. Good luck!

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've played around with my Submarine (original version) in several different places in my signal chain, but have decided I like it best at the end. I just find that it really sweetens up whatever I run into it.

7. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    +1

I prefered my yellow Submarine at the end. It's now been replaced by a Submarine DE and it's still at the end.

I keep the yellow in my gig bag for rehearsals where I don't feel like carrying my pedalboard or for use on my synth for pop gigs.

8. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Thanks for all the feedback! I also seem to like it at the end best!! :cool:

9. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Late to the thread, but I'm running my submarine DE at the end as well.