Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Designing my new Custom bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, May 27, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well time for another bass!

I love my 6 string, it has "my sound". It is in a sense perfect to me. However, I am starting to play a lot of funk and fusion, and I need a more aggressive sounding bass. I have decided to get a 5 string bass made for me by a luthier who lives very close to me. You guys haven't heard of him yet, but you will when he's finished building my bass!!:D

I have not decided on the body style yet. I am thinking about a Jazz bass body, but I don't know. The bass is going to be made of Swamp Ash. He has some beautiful pieces that have been dried for over 10 years. They are very resonant and light. I believe they are book matched pieces. He also has some incredibly stunning pieces of Quilted Maple that we are going to use for the top.

The neck is going to be made of Birdseye Maple with a matching fingerboard. I have not decided(can't) what the neck radius will be. He is going to cut the neck custom to fit the shape of my hand! I am going to be there while he is doing it. This is going to be so cool!

I haven't decided on the hardware yet. I think I am going to go with Jazz bass single coil pickups(maybe Lindy Fralin or Bartolini), with Aguilar electronics. There is a new bridge made by 2 tech coming out, which I would like to have installed.

The Finish is either going to be trans green(like funky's hopefully!!), or 2-tone burst.

I can't wait to get this project started!!:D

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds pretty cool. Be sure to keep us posted (with pics:D ) of the progress.

Good luck:)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, sounds pretty sweet, man...have you checked out the j-retro's yet? i played a j-retro equipped bass over at bass northwest, and it sounded totally awesome. i've heard some good stuff about the lindy fralin's as well...bassmonkeee had some installed on his super jazz not too long ago. good luck, man!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i agree with neptoon,

j-retro's are great, and John East is amazing with the customer support. another good one you should try is a Bart 3 band w/ variable midrange.

the reason i like these two is the easy way to fiddle with the midrange frequencies. high, mid, or low midrange control is an amazing boon to tayloring your tone. I love dialing in s'more low mids for a punchier rounded tone.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    next stop, the dudepit ;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea,

john's always on the dudepit's J-retro forum, so no need to call England. :)

also, i'm sorta partial to the J-retro cause the mid freq. knob is sweepable, while the Bart only has a 3 notch switch. 250, 400, 800, i think...

7. Is it Paul Saunders?