Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Designs, copies & the law

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slugworth, Aug 1, 2005.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Ok, so I did a search and didn't find the answer I was looking for. If you find a Rickenbacker copy on Ebay, it isn't long before John Hall complains and the auction is taken down. So, how can the numerous Fender ripper-offers continue to steal these designs with impunity? Some of the most revered names here on TB are blatant ripoffs of Fender designs albeit with squared-off fretboard ends and a slightly different whoop-de-doo on the headstock. If I was the general counsel at Fender I'd be down at the courthouse filing and serving...AFAIK, Warmoth pays a licensing fee to Fender, why don't the other companies?

Slug

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    good question

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Fender (or more aptly CBS) didn't protect their designs and Rickenbacker did that simple.

4. Just about anyone can pursue infringement claims if they desire but there's much to consider when making the decision. For John Hall, he probably determined that the upside to preventing the dilution of his brand name and design was greater than the expense or adverse publicity he might see from doing so. Good for him. Fender might have done the same considering and decided exactly the opposite. I'm not saying they did - it's just possible. Exactly why is probably locked up in a pile in internal memos and briefs between corporate types.

Fender HAS taken steps to protect the basic shapes of it's strat, tele, and P bass shapes in the last couple of years but I'm unsure of the current status of the pending request.