Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Desire to play Classical Thump!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EEbass04, Sep 5, 2002.

1. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Despite my last post of not wanting to play like Victor Wooten, I have once again changed my mind. I have been playing bass for 1 year and 6 months. I find the extreme desire to play Classical Thump. Is it at all possible for me to even have learned to play this completely by next Decmeber? Well I know this post isn't complete. But I want some responses and questions from you and I will check this daily and answer the questions to give you a deeper look at me as a player.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    By next December? Why not? It's possible, but it depends on a number of things.

Like how much you have busted your balls to play bass up to this point, and how much work you are going to put into it in the future. Classical Thump is no walk in the park, and there are techniques in there beyond conventional slapping.

It is, however, good to give yourself a goal, and not settling for learning "I Stand Alone" by Godsmack or some other piece of dung. Kudos to you and good luck.

BTW: Lots of people SAY they can play Classical Thump. Do a search on the forums and you'll see posts like "Hey i have been plying for 4 munths an i cn pla Clasical thump bt I want 2 know wut is a minur scale????" If you learn it, we want sound clips! ;)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I learned it, but I can't play it too well. That speed double thumbing is no joke! You can do it, but it will take some work. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it ain't easy! I'm rooting for you man! Remember this: do not underestimate the importance of your left hand!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sheesh, that third pluck he adds in there after the upstroke of the thumb is what kills me. my thumb doesn't bend backwards, like almost everyone else on earth, so i have to reposition my hand to get my finger in position for the pluck...at any rate, i still can't play anything after the intro...and the triplet part at the beginning sounds like poo, so...good luck, man...

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have been playing for 3 years, and i find it a challenge. I say good luck, and dont feel bad if you cant learn it in the first 3 minutes. There are easier things that you can learn, and that will slowly prepare you for learning the entire song in one go.

But i say good luck aswell, and keep us posted on your progress ;)

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're willing to spend the time on it-you could have it learned by November. That being said i've been playing for goin on 5 years of actually playing [first year it just kinda sat there] and can't sight read as well as i like-gimme a half hour with a song depending difficulty & i can @ least stumble/have it partly down [jazz band stuff]. It seems a bit more fulfilling to me to learn a harder riff/lick than learn something that is really easy b/c then you can set your sights higher & higher and build more confidence along with a bigger musical vocabulary. thats all

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    to help EE (and me) out... would someone who knows help describe the double thump slap thingy. First thing... is it the same as the Flamenco Thumb?

8. get the Live BAss DAy 98 dvd.... he teaches you how to do that...

and good luck also... I for sure can't play it, I usually play the intro non-slapping, with double strumming and hammer-ons...

I myself am going to try for a song on that album, though I for sure won't be able to play it... A show of hands ( not the album, the song)... ive got the first 15 seconds! huzzah!

haha

9. what are the first 15 seconds of a show of hands?
    thats like a million notes! :)