Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Desktop amp to record with!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I ended up getting a *gasp* Rogue practice amp.

It's a little 30w dude with the only thing I needed ... a line out for direct recording. It costed me like $75 or so including shipping so I was cool there.

I am so surprised there aren't more "lunch box" practice amps with line outs. It would be so useful. I suppose one could modify thier little squiers and whatnot... all you need is to tap the signal before the power amp stage right?

I guess I wasn't ready to drop $300 to $500 for the luxury of a small amp with a line out. :p

So now I have a Rogue 30w 10" spkr to suppliment my Cyclops 15 and 8s. Wowsers!!

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Should've got Peavey practice amp.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    As far as I could see... the Rogue is the smallest I could find with a line out.

I would have gotten a 10w amp with a 6" speaker if I could find one with a line out.

I didn't see any peaveys that fit the bill. But maybe the places I checked were just out of stock or whatever ... such is life. :p Not to mention the price on this sucker is hard to beat. :D

I will post how it works for me and you guys can hear how it records as I update the songs on my webpage. I don't think quality will be much of an issue as I only need to play it at low volumes and prefer a clean unaltered sound.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why didn't you just buy a preamp? :confused: It would sound worlds better...

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe I suppose... it's all I needed. But I swear, I asked everyone the same question (salesmen at various guitar shops, online, etc...) and told em what I wanted. It was always $300 and up. Their solutions were good ones and I am sure fair deals. But for my needs, I like the $75 price tag. On the other hand MF has a good return policy if you know where I could find a inexpensive preamp to buy? I have no hangups on brand and whatnot... I just want something small with a line out. I have good PC speakers for monitoring anyways.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sorry, I don't know anything THAT inexpensive!
    But the Sadowsky outboard is $198 list, Aguilar DB 924 is $229... and there's the (by now) well-known SansAmp Bassdriver DI by Tech 21... you even get BALANCED line outs with them!
    I'd say return the Rogue! :)

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ......hmmmm...... well, we'll see. I think I will give her a test drive. It seems to me that any amp should be able to make a clean sound if the volume only needs to be heard over your breathing. It's getting that same clean sound to knock over a wall that's harder to produce.

I wish they would just add line out jacks to all the practice amps... It would make recording so much easier. No more radio shack cassette recorders on a chair in the middle of a room. :p

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    ART Tube MP is a great little box for recording, plus lots of other uses as well (impedance matching, phantom power if needed, direct box). Two outputs that can be used at the same time (balanced and unbalanced). Sounds great for bass and is very quiet. Less than $100.