Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Desktop icons appear out of no where?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I ran my AVG Virus protection and it found 2 Trojan horse Viruses. It couldn't delete or quarantene the virus so I found the file, which was a back up zip file for NoAdWare, and I deletes it. Ran my virus procion again, no virus. :)

I turn on my computer this morning and there are these 2 Icons on my desktop that weren't there before. I opened the "Desktop" icon and it's a word file. I try to open the "Thumbs" file and it gives me a warning about damaging my system.

I tried to move them off my desktop and a warning popps up asking "Are you sure you want to move the system file?"

What are they and can I move them without messing my computer up?

Attached Files:

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    OK, don't go deleting things on my word, but as far as I know the "Thumbs" file (otherwise called "thumbs.db" if you can see the file extension) is a database that windows uses to store thumbnails of image files in the directory (what you see when you select "View/Thumbnails" and you will get a warning if you try to delete it that it is a system file, bla bla bla, but if you delete it it will just be re-created next time you view the folder as thumbnails.

As for the "Desktop" icon. I'll assume that it is "desktop.ini" file and is used to configure custom views for folders (like a custom icon for the "My Music" folder) and it can also be deleted without seriously harming the computer, but you will loose whatever custom view (if any) was being handled by the file.

I'd suggest you wait for someone more knowlegeable than I before you delete them, but that's my understanding. It's possible that these files were always there, and somehow your system is now showing hidden and system files ( they are hidden by default, just like the extensions for known file types is ) and the message you mention is the standard one windows displays whenever anything that is considered a system file (usefull or not, it's just a category of files that windows uses and ANY file can be flagged as a system file)

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Go into "folder options" and click "restore defaults". That may remove them.

4. Yea, it's a setting in folder options.

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I can't figure out how to get into "folder options". :confused: :(

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Go to windows explorer - tools - folder options.

What might have happened that "Show hidden files and folders" is marked.
    Uncheck that and the files will probably "disappear" again.

There is no need to delete or move them. Thumbs.db is simply a little index files which keeps a thumbnail images of the pictures you have got stored on your desktop and the desktop.ini keeps the settings of your desktop.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Thanks guys!!!!! "Show hidden files and folders" was marked and I un checked it and it's gone. I thought some virus was taking over my computer.