desperate help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil101, Apr 3, 2003.

1. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i just got a brand new bass off ebay that arrived today. the case it came in is locked. it is a fender 57 reissue P bass that came in a Vintage Tweed Case. the guy i won it from said he never locked it and if there is a key it would be inside the case in the bag with all the accessaries. i tried every little key we have in the house like suitcase keys and nothing will pop these open. ANY IDEAS WELCOME.

2. call a locksmith or bust out the saw... :D
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    My Fodera showed up kind of similar to that. It has a combination lock but the combination would not work because the lock was in a bind from shipping vibrations and so forth. The screws that held the lock on were smooth on top so I could not remove them with a screwdriver. I very slowly and painstakingly turned the screws with a wrench to remove the lock. I never put it back on but I saved it since it's part of the original case.
  4. I think the keys on all of those cases are the same for the same brand. I'd go to a store that had one in stock and ask to use it. Then I'd buy some picks or strings from them to foster goodwill.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, in the "dumba$$ suggestion" box, only because I did this myself once,

You're sure it's locked? I got a case once and was stupid and thought it was locked. Turned out it was just a "push the round lock thingies sideways to pop it open" type deal. I figured this out *after* I emailed the seller frantically, of course. ;)
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I thought mine was locked.. but I bought it from sam ash, and saw the guy open it and close it.. i knew he didn't lock it... try sliding the lock things to the side..... if not just go to a sam ash or a guitar center or somewhere where they get fender stuff and they can call up fender and they'll ship you keys.. (they did so for me for free but I bought both my basses at sam ash, as well as my pod n other stuff so they tend to hook me up.. dunno if they'll charge ya)
  7. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    thanks for the suggestions, i cannot get this thing opened! i thought about trying to slide open the round locks but they will not budge. this sucks!!!!!!

8. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i got it, after 2 hours of messing with the lock. thanks again everyone. TB rules!

9. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    He's not answering now. He's BUSY!!!;)
  10. Probably by sliding the round lock areas.

This happened to me, too. ;)