Desperate help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Little_Horhey, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Ive been offered a Yorkville 100w bass amp for 300 bucks. Its a little over a year old, and he is throwing im a ****ty old bass that i can defret for myself. Is this a good deal or can i get a brand new yorkville for a similar price? please help me out guys!
  2. I bought my 200 watt yorkville for $500 (canadian). You should check a local shop. Thats what Id do.
  3. Yeah do it man. you get a bass too. I would take it. Even if the amp is crappy you can always fix it.

4. bassdan777

Jul 5, 2001
    Audubon, NJ
    Never really liked Yorkville, especially one that is only 100W. When it comes to Yorkville 100W is going to feel and sound more like 50W. There is probably a good reason why this guy is trying to get rid of this amp after only having it for a year. I doubt that he even paid 300 for it when he bought it new. Unless you really need the bass, I would go out and shop around for something better. Check out some of the SWR Workingman or LA Series Combos. They're right around that price range and sound a whole lot fuller.
  5. I just saw in our local buysell paper, a 200W Yorkville, used but only 10 months old - $300 CDN obo ($184 US).

Little_Horhey, sounds like a bad deal. I wouldn't go for it.
  6. thanks for the input guys. Melrin, the bass he ws selling for 30 bucks and its called a name ive bnever even heard of before. I only weanted to defret it because it would be my first time defretting a bass and i want to make sure i do it on a welfare guitar so i dont have to learn anything the hard way.

It sounded like a raw deal to me too. Would it be worth it to start investing in a stack piece by piece, or doi have no idea what im talking about?
  7. I would definitely stay away from that deal. Anytime someone is so desperate to get rid of something, that they are willing to throw in something extra, they have something bad they are trying to dispose of quickly, for too much. Also, a 100 watt amp isnt that much. If you start playing alot, and you end up with a band that has a guitarist playing through a Marshall half stack, or anything over 60 watts, you will be blown away, and will need to go out again, and buy a new rig.

That is exactly what i am in the process of doing, and let me tell you, it is worth it. Start with a preamp, and get a good one. You can plug this into the poweramp input of your amp, or the effects return, with nothing going out to the effects send. After you save more money, buy a power amp and cab, and then later, buy an extra cab. Its a great way to slowly keep upgrading, and eventually end up with a great rig.
  8. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    save your money.

shop around.. look at used stuff, eBay, etc. theres some really great deals out there.
  9. Well it depends what ya good at. ;) I am a audio technician, so if he was offering a amp that was a bit dinged i would go "woo well knock off $50 and i'll take it now, include the bass"

Take it home, open it up and replace the components that typically fail, just use what i have in my junk box. And make it a kick ass amp.

10. please excuse my ignorance, but im not really big into amp gear and stuff. I feel like a dufus asking, but what is a preamp? Also, are heads and cabs what i think they are (head = amp cab=speakers)?

im a moron
  11. Preamp is the first unit in the chain. This takes the level from the bass and makes it into something that the power amp can use

Poweramp is what people are talking about when they refer to how many watts a rig has. When you hook up a preamp to a poweramp, you boost the level to a level that the speakers can use.

Heads have both preamps and poweramps built into them, in one convenient package. The advantage is in portability. The disadvantage is, if you want to upgrade to a more powerful system, you need a whole new head, whereasif you had a separate, you could just upgrade the poweramp.

Cab is short for Cabinet, or Speaker Cabinets. These are the arrays of speakers you see, designed in a "cabinet" or box if you like.

Hope this helped
  12. excellent, thnaks for the help. One question though, do the preamp or the speakers have a max wattage too or just the poweramp? What i mean is, if you have the whole rig and want to up the wattage, is the poweramp alwyas gonna be the only thing you replace?
  13. I just posted a thread called "Misc. Newbie questions" or something like that. I have a slew of questions that you might be interested in.

I'm in the same boat. I would like a more powerful amp (in the future) but I know jack about amps. Buying a bass was hard and now - what ohms? what wattage? what rack vs. combo? what what what? Doh!
  14. Alright imagine this-

A preamp is basically just an extension of your bass. If you hooked it up to a speaker, without a poweramp, you would get nothing. A poweramp makes the signal so powerful in watts. Preamps have nothing to do with wattage of a system.

rabid_granny- E-mail me at, if you want any information, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $299 brand new. That's without haggling.

The BM100 - Great Sound, Great Size, Great Price !!
    The BM100 is Yorkville's most affordable 15" bass combo amp. Delivering 100 Watts of clean power, its specially tuned compact enclosure yields amazing sound for players who demand the best in value and portability. Features include: 3 Band Active Tone Control, Line Out, Effects Loop and Headphone Jack.
    List Price: $409.00 / Our Price: $299.00

Yorkville prices