Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Desperate seeking for a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, Jul 7, 2002.

1. MusicMan Stingray 5

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Ibanez BTB1006

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Ibanez SR3006

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. MTD Kingston Heir 5 + upgrades

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Warmoth Gecko 6 parts

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Other (post it here!)

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Yeah! You read it already! Im looking for a new main axe, after selling the last Ibanez remaining on my rig... the EDB605GP... before was the SR885GN and BTB406QM... actually i have no bass... so, you know how im feeling right know... :(

I have no bass... it's sad... i know... but... I HAVE OVER US$800 AND MY FATHER WILL PAY THE DIFFERENCE FOR A NEW BASS PLUS THE SHIPPING!!! EVEN IF THE BASS ISN'T AVAILABLE HERE!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!:D

So... my dear TB fellows... please tell me, WHAT BASS I MUST GET?

- MusicMan Stingray 5
    - Ibanez BTB1006 Prestige
    - Ibanez SR1006 Prestige
    - MTD Kingston Heir 5 + upgrades
    - Warmoth Gecko 6 Parts?

If you have another opinion, please specify.
    (not Fenders, please)

Please tell me! Im very excited with the idea!! :D

EBP

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    The MTD Heir is great, and I love the MusicMan, but I have to say I like Gecko's more! If you make the Gecko to your liking, I think you'd be very happy!

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    you mean he'll pay whatever? why are you asking then, get your favourite high end bass :D

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, Im really not a fan of any of those basses...but my favorite out of all of them woud be the BTB, then the MM. How did you get to the conclusion that it would be one of these 5?

5. Let me do the most extremist example:

Me US$800 + Dad US$800 (including shipping, that's US$200) = US$1,400 plus US$200 from shipping.

It's my first over US$1000 buy, so must be a good one, i don't want to buy another bass in a loooooong time.... (but GAS always do the trick...:p)

Get it? :D

EBP

6. They are my classic GAS favorites, but i have only played the Ibanez's and the MM Stingray 4.

Thanks! I almost forget! The Tobias TobyPro 6!

Sorry if im inconsistent on my replies, but with money and GAS... you know... :p

EBP

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If you like rays, you may (but may not) like G&Ls. They fit your price and are just about the best sound (s, plural because there's a ton), look, and feel for the money.

8. I really dig the G&L's sound, but not their shape. Aesthetics is something important on my wish list... but i will considerate it. Thanks for the feedback!

EBP

9. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Can you get your hands on a used (maybe new) Peavey Cirrus OR Millennium?

They are both GREAT buys... & FINE Basses!
    You'd really have to hear & feel them for yourself.

edited: I should add that while I DO LIKE the more expensive BTBs, in a side by side comparison, I prefer the Peaveys by a considerable margin. You may not!!!

Good Luck

www.peavey.com

10. I haven't played any of the basses you listed, but the Musicman received high marks in the Bass Player 5-String Shootout a few years ago.

However, I would like to recommend at least considering a Reverend Rumblefish 5L (or even a Brad Houser). They're pretty affordable, and they sound, feel, and look great! I've also heard their hard case is excellent! Go to www.reverenddirect.com . :)

11. Soundgears are not worth the $$$. You can get much more bass for the cost. I love BTB's, but the 1006 is the same - not worth the cash for a new one considering the alternatives. Tobias - gimme a break. If this has to be your last for a long time, you need something you are 100% sure about. The Warmoth or the Musicman would be my choices. The Heir is a great instrument, but getting upgrades would be a pain, and the necks are very love em/hate em. If you were to get a Warmoth, you could have evrerything how you liked it, it'd be essentially a custom instrument. The Stingray is great too, you won't go wrong with it, unless you like versatility.

So, in my case, it'd be Warmoth, then Musicman. But it's more 51% Warmoth 49% MM.

And my alternative? CZECH SPECTOR BABY!

You know you want one, with the new Aguilar 18V pre. Lots of colour options. You might be able to swing a US bolt on, which is what I'd get, as I prefer bolt ons and I like having a J at the neck. However, shipping might be high and saving as much as possible is probably preferable.

And one last thing that no one has mentioned:

www.basscentral.com

:D

12. :eek:

*mind controlled voice on*
    PanteraFan is my leader.... the master architect..."
    *mind controlled voice off*

Seriously,Spectors looks fine. in some weird way the remind me Warwick... i will check it out! :cool: (BTW, Not Warwick, Not Fender for me!)
    :D

EBP

13. The Rumblefish looks great, the Bug Eye finish looks amazing (it's texturized?) :D

EBP

14. Definately take a look at the Peavey Cirrus basses... great deals for around that price range. Or you could get a used Warwick Thumb 5 for $1280 used like I did :). Seriously though, there are alot of very very good basses USED in that price range as well...

John

15. Is that a joke?:confused: Yes, they do have metal tops, but, like I said, they sound great!

16. Lakland.

Either a Skyline 55-02 or a used US 55-94.

17. How did I know you'd say that?;) :D Hey allan!

18. I got this mail from another user called Stroy05 just a minute ago...

I have a Lakland 5502 that is brand new I am trying to sell. Its a bass worth
    over 1000 I am selling for 1000

What do you think?

EBP

19. bassplayer7770 said...

How did I know you'd say that?;) :D Hey allan!

Hey, bp7770!

Hell, everyone knows I only know one answer to the "which bass should I buy" question :D

20. EvilBassPlayer said...

I have a Lakland 5502 that is brand new I am trying to sell. Its a bass worth
    over 1000 I am selling for 1000

What do you think?

EBP, I don't know the person who sent you the email and wouldn't begin to bash him or his equipment but you can get a new 55-02 for pretty close to that. Adrian Garcia, Dude and Gard are all Lakland dealers that frequent TB - and I think you can snag a new 55-02 for not much more than $1000 - and maybe less.

Lakland doesn't allow dealers to post prices on their website - so if I were you I'd PM those three guys and see what they can do for you.