1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

desperately need some advice...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slap_man, Mar 18, 2008.

1. slap_man

slap_man

Mar 18, 2008
    I have this really big problem in my strings dying on me too quick. I have tried ernie ball regular slinkies, ddrios xl, hartke, dr highbeams, and rotosound.

So far, for every one of these brands, the strings die within 3 days. I've been playing bass for about five years, and while i noticed, it never really bothered me at first. But this is getting rediculous. Strings are just too expensive to keep buy every 3 days and then they die. One time i had a brand new set of dr highbeams last me a day and a half. I know its not the fault of the strings, since this has happened throughout my five years worth of playing, set after set, brand after brand. By the way, i play a fender usa precision bass (great bass by the way) and i play metal and slap bass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Try coated strings, like Elixirs, D'Addario EXL's, or DR Extra Life.

Or, if you're so bold, Optima. :bag:

3. I'm with you. One or two gigs is all I get out of new strings. Considering I play 2-4 gig's a week, I had to figure something out. For the past several months I've been soaking the strings in denatured alcohol and that has saved me a bundle. I just use a large Tupperware container that I immerse the wound strings in. I normally keep two or three sets of Highbeams and am constantly switching between gigs. I really does work.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    3 days? :eyebrow:

5. Acid hands of death, maybe.

6. slap_man

slap_man

Mar 18, 2008

3 days is right. sometime one or two depending on the day. It sucks because i happily buy a brand new set of dr highs, and play some slap. a couple of days later i come back and it sounds like i'm playing flatwounds on the thing, and the slap sounds terrible (you get more noise of the thumb hitting the string and fret than actual tone).:crying:

7. coated strings for you!
    Elixirs

8. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "...i play metal and slap bass"

Are you an aggressive player? Perhaps you're stretching the strings, and need to lighten up on your technique. Or wash your hands more often.

I've rarely heard of anyone going through strings that quickly.

9. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Elixirs are the way to go. They'll last at least 6 months, possibly more depending on how you play and how much. I've tried others and you're right, they die quickly. No problem with the Elixirs. Definitely worth the money.

10. Like every one has said, coated strings...

But you may also want to wash your hands with a harsh soap with no moisturizers then also rinse your hands with rubbing alcohol.

Maybe lighten up on your playing.

As a last resort boil them strings.

11. Maybe try the Ritter Swordsteel strings. They are supposed to have tighter windings that help keep dirt from accumulating as much as with other strings. They should last you longer.

Or if you get really desperate you could try a set of tapewounds. They won't have as aggressive a tone as roundwounds, but the black nylon winding should keep dirt/acid from getting to the actual roundwound string underneath. Tapewounds usually keep their tone forever (relatively).

12. None of the coated strings, that I'm aware of, have the brightness for slapping that you are probably after. The only way that I've discovered to have that sound is to either have new strings or clean strings. That's why I've gone to cleaning/soaking them between gigs.