Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Destination:Tone - what amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Of course - selling all my giggable rig stuff and then boom, a gig pops up. That's okay, gives me a chance to get what I really want, even if all that extra cash isn't extra anymore.

I need your help, TBers, in finding a freakin' source for the following tone. I know it's not the bass, because all these examples use different basses.

I'm after a head here.

Additionally, I want said head to be small and light =0) maybe in the 400W range.

The sound: Think Billy Sheehan on the cover version of La Villa Strangiato. Think Les Claypool about 80% of the time =0). Think Chris Squire on Roundabout.

It's heavy in the mids and has just a hint of what I think is grit/drive. (I could be wrong of course)

I'm gonna be pumping it thru 12s, so I think I'm OK there (if I move the aggies I am looking into one 2x12).

Do I need tubes, do I need specific EQ, do I need an amp with overdrive? (i love my OD pedal but it doesn't do this sound) I've never really gotten it, and have used EA, GK, and Phil Jones amplification, among others.

I've been reading about the Thunderfunk, the AG500, the ABM500, the WT550, but I don't have a ready source of playing thru these to hear for myself - for being the nation's capital, this area kinda sucks for buying bass gear.

What say you guys?

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've never ever played one.... but based on your description (weight, tone, power)... I have the feeling that someone will pop up and say "THUNDERFUUUUUNK!" in like... 10 mins maybe. :p

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  4. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
  5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Hey dave, it looks like you have been playing the more hi-fi -ish amps. you should go over to GC at 7 Corners they had some M Pulses there. if you arent adverse to them i would say check out an Ampeg preamp or two. By your description it sounds to me like you are looking for a meatier, tubier sound and the M Pulse has crazy thick tone.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hmmm....

SUNN 300T!!! :hyper:

7. I have decided to make mine the T-Funk.....I'm taking the plunge on one of the new TFB550's and an Accugroove Whappo, JR.....should have them both within a few days or so...I should mention that I have had most everything else...I talked to Mark at Accugroove about the Whappo, JR and the TRI210 and decided on the Whappo, JR....

Have been wanting the T-Funk for a while now so it is a nobrainer.....currently playing a Sadowsky Vintage 4 through a Demeter/CA9 rig and use an Avalon U5 as my DI (sometines I prefer to use the U5 as the preamp) into a HT112/EX112 Bergie mini Stack.....can't wait for the new gear to get here......

Peace,

T

8. Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 would suit your needs, a fine amp, loud, loads of good tone, works well live in band, give it a try

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I feel that I wouldn't be a true shill if I didn't throw the WT-550 out there. But, on the other hand, I have no clue whether you can get "your tone" out of it. Probably can, though.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Thunderfunk and WT-550 are also excellent choices, but when I think of killer tone and heavy in the mids with a hint of grit/grind, I think of the Walkabout (or perhaps another M-Pulse line head).

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree. I've played through a few Mesas, and they sound like the tone you are describing.

12. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Interesting stuff guys - I'll hit up GC to play some Mesa and stuff.... Oddly enough, Mesa is my favorite tone for guitar, yet I didn't even think about it for bass, really. Derrr.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    washington music center has some Edens, Aguilars and tons of other stuff like an Alembic FX-1 pre and Ashdowns you might check out.

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    While you're out checking out amps, check out a SansAmp BDDI if you can. It definately can add that Sheehan dirt to an amp that is lacking in that area.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Based on what you are looking for the Mesa's (mpulse/walkabout), Ashdown or getting a Sansamp RBI with a poweramp. I don't think the Eden will get the sound without really altering eq and similarily with the Thunderfunk.

Tubes!? Maybe... If you're thinking tubes... an SVT

16. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    How about the new Aggie AG500? That's got 2 channels, one of which does the gritty drive thing. Can channel 2 of the AG do what I'm talking about? If I set it for a low amount of drive and then need more drive for effect, I do have a pedal...

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Aggies have never been known for their midrange... The overdrive is OK (I'd probably buy a pedal personally). I actually like the OD channel... In small doses it might work

18. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I'd definitely ck out a Thunderfunk.

Meets your requirements - plus it's lightweight - plus it's cool.

19. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I was going to mention the AG 500; I actually liked the "saturation" channel a lot as well. It was easy (for me) to dial in some grit without too much fur, or it can get nice and furry if you want it to. But, there are certainly others here who weren't huge fans of that channel. I actually ended up with the Thunderfunk and think it is a fantastic head - very versatile just adjusting the Timbre and Enhance knobs, rest of the EQ flat! I've also got a DB 750 which is stellar, but tosses the lightweight requirement right out the window. But ohhh the tone. . . :bassist: Also, from my limited experience with it, I think Tom's Walkabout suggestion might be the best one based upon what you've described as your tonal goal(s).

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Owning a Mesa M-Pulse 600 I can assure you that the tones you described would be possible with a Walkabout. However, whenever I want that Roundabout tone I always turn to my Sansamp BDDI. I can nail it with minimal tweaking. Oddly enough, when I put the Sansamp in front of my Mesa it sounds terrible, and no amount of tweaking seems to rectify this problem. Sansamp's are cheap, so you could certainly just pick one up and give it a shot.