1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Destroyed my 115, and now am thinking about Avatar...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kronos, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, it was fun while it lasted, but my cheapie Behringer 115 bit the dust earlier this week. Tested all the connections to be sure they were getting power, and they were. Blown speaker. We all know about Behringer's quality, so I don't feel that it was abuse on my part.

So, I'm thinking about upgrading (anything is an upgrade to Behringer!) to either Avatar or Hartke.

Here's the deets:

For those of you who don't know, I play metal. I have an overdriven sound (think meshuggah) that has plenty of mids. We have one guitarist in the band, and we may have a keyboardist within a week or two. My drummer tends to be a basher (can't help himself...he just gets into it). So, that's what I'm competing with, soundwise.

Now, I was playing with a 210/115 rig, without a crossover. Basically you could tell the 210 was carrying the mids and the 115 was projecting more lows even though both were receiving the full range signal.

I was looking at the Avatar site, and I've heard tons of good things about Avatar. But, they only really have 212's and 410's for bassists nowadays. So, I wasn't sure if either one of them would deliver what I want. I also was looking at Hartke's vx215, a cab with 2 15" speakers. Not much info is available about this cab, so I was kind of discouraged.

What I'm looking for is something to help with the lows, as well as the mids. I can't afford to buy both the 410 and the 212 from Avatar. But, I do like the fact that the Avatar cabs come with an active crossover with a low pass filter. I also have tons of power at my disposal, so power rating isn't an issue. Does anyone have the specs for the avatar cabs (the sensitivity and frequency response)? I'd love to know which is louder and has a better frequency response. I'm thinking, though, after reading a lot on the boards that one's going to be loud, and the other's going to have better frequency response.

Also, does anyone have the specs for the Hartke VX215? I'd like to know how loud/low it goes.

2. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Put an Avatar 212 under that 210 and your life will be happy again.

You wont find a single player on this site that will deny that Avatar is kickass bang for the buck. The tone/weight might be another argument, but it sounds like you need a nice raw source of volume and an Avatar 212 will do exactly what you are describing without draining your wallet.

PS, by your description, a 215 is definitely NOT what you are looking for, regardless of the maker.

3. FWIW, my Avatar 2x12 smokes my 1x15 in all categories. It's louder, it's lower, it projects the mids better, and it's punchier. I put a 2x10 on top of it and it's an extremely capable stack.
    C7

4. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    Have you thought about putting an eminence driver into that 115 cab? It's probably the cheapest route to take.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Think about Dr. Bass cabinets as well. Give Marc Serio (the owner/builder) a call and see what he can do for you.
    Great cabs, great build quality, and very affordable.
    Just my $.02.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yep. A Delta 15 LF or Kappalite 3015LF. Check the cabinet specs against those shown in the cabinet design pages for those drivers on the Eminence site to be sure of compatability. Cheaper, and probably better.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I've thought about this, but I don't have the specs for the cabinet. I wouldn't want to put a great new speaker in it and have it sound bad because the cabinet's tuning was off.

I've also been looking in the "for sale" section, and I saw that Marcus Willett is selling an Avatar 115 which he put in a new Eminence Magnum-15HO, and an improved crossover from Gary Avrett (LoveThatBass). He's selling it dirt cheap ($200) and I thought it might be a good replacement.

What do you think?

8. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Mystic, CT
    I've got to give up another vote for Avatar. I have the Delta 2x12 and I love it...wonderful full spectrum....great lows!

Do it my friend! :D

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    All you need is a measuring tape and WinISD Beta free software (www.linearteam.org).

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just to be sure, I'm measuring the interior, correct? I've never done this before. And, do I measure for the bottom vent as well?

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You need to measure the interior volume exclusive of the duct and then the duct depth, width and height. You can 'reverse engineer' with WinISD to see what frequency the box is tuned to, though most seem to use 50 Hz. But first I'd just look at the box designs at http://www.eminence.com/resources_cabinets.asp
    for the drivers I mentioned, if your cab is reasonably close to one of those there you should be OK.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Eminence recommends a "steep high pass filter at 40 Hz" to prevent over excursion. How important will this be in real use, assuming I don't use much bass boost and play at a reasonable level, not into audible distortion? Can the filter be passive and go in the loudspeaker chain, or must it be an active circuit in the preamp or before the preamp?

13. I think that's a CYA suggestion, personally.:D
    C7

14. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    the hartke 2x15 sucks btw. its okay for muddy boomy lows, but thats about it. anything on your G wont even be audable. pluss, they are 4 ohms. that might not be a problem for you but it might

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That applies to PA sub useage, especially DJ subs, not electric bass. The 3015LF has three times the xmax of the typical 15.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, compared to just about any other driver used in bass cabs the 3015LF is untouchable for anyone who likes to send a signal just loaded with low frequencies. What Bill said applies to not only 15s but also 10s and 12s.

17. Listen to Bill. He does this for a living and is offering you free engineering advise. Try to get that from some "big name" company. The end result will be better than what you can buy for double the price.

18. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for all your help, especially you, Bill. I can't wait to get that new speaker, and I'm overly excited that you've saved me more than half of what I was expecting to pay to be audible again!