Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Destroying a Fender. (Removing Frets and paint)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had a Black , Fretted Precision bass.
    I removed the frets, and the neck is ready.
    But I have tried a lot to remove the black paint from the body, and I have found that even a strong paint remover wont do the job!!
    Is there anything good to remove this kind of finish?? I have sanded other basses, but it is a lot of work, since i do it by hand completely. (Dont have any machine for that).
    Please post anything that can help.
    Please advise of any good oils or products for protecting the Rosewood fretboard now , that it it Fretless.

2. I seriously doubt paint remover would work; it's not paint, it's acrylic. Have you tried a power sander?

3. I remove my old ibanez's paint using sandpaper.Dont even try it..It takes too much time.Your hands start to hurt.You will need thosands of them and you wont be able to remove the paint from curves and cutaways completely.
    If you have money give it to a person who could do it or buy a chemical thing that used to remove acrilic.I think it will work.
    Then i used a spray paint for it,and a friend of mine had sonething on it.I think it was ''ship vernic'' or something..I hope it helps.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Onur. I have done the complete body sanding method in my previous bass (Ibanez ATK300), and I did it wonderfully, (I removed the pain t from the joints and cutaways with a lot of work.) But as you said.. its A LOT OF WORK.
    What Im really looking for is a chemical to destroy the acrylic in the finish so I dont need to waste my arms and hands sanding it.

5. Well, you might try to use some heat but only from a heat gun. I'll tell you from experience that it is still a time consuming process. You'll be softening the finish at the same time as helping break it's bond with the wood. Then you'll need to use a utensil like a putty knife to lift the skin and begin to peel. The reason you should only use a heat gun is that it produces extremely high temps without flame and you can get a larger area covered than with a torch or something equally dangerous.

Good Luck.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Can I use a Hair Dryer??

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Ifabara: You might try using pieces of broken window pane as a scraper. I know it sounds wierd but you actually can get a smoother surface on wood with a scraper(steel or glass) than you can with sandpaper. Sandpaper tends to raise the grain while a scraper leaves a surface like a plane produces.

A hair dryer doesn't produce enough heat to strip paint.

An option may be to find a furniture refinishing shop and have them put the body in a stripping vat. It shouldn't be very expensive.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

8. Or there is the non-cheap but very easy route, where you go to your local guitar shop and say, "I want new paint on this, could you take off the old?" They should do it, or at least know someone who can.

Rock on
    Eric

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks. But there are no "local guitar shops" in Guayaquil Ecuador. At least, not like in the U.S.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

You prolly could get one of those sanding things
    you attach to drills.. Loan someones drill
    if you don't have one yourself :cool:
    I'd recommend wax as finish - never have used it myself
    but I have heard good things about it. And seen wax finished basses too.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The good news...
    Hand Sanding has begun!! and is not being too difficult.. just timewasting.
    The bad news..
    The wood grain SUCKS... Mexican Fenders have the worst wood I have seen in my life!! (Even my Korean Ibanez had a beutiful wood)
    So.. what can I do??
    I dont know what to do when finish the sanding..
    Waxing would help the uglyness?? What kind of wax do I have to use?

12. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    Heat guns work really well - I stripped paint off a house with one.
    Chemical strippers are carinogenic.
    Throw away the P and get a J.
    (incidentally, I don't see Fenders in Guitar Shops in NZ these days)

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hehe.
    Actually the Fender is not mine. Its a friend's. He lend it to me , and suddenly I asked if he wanted it to be fretless..
    And the asked me.. CAN YOU DO IT??
    So I said.. yes.. I could try.
    2 Weeks after.. I asked him if he would like to have it in natural finish.. Again the same game of questions.
    Then·. I have to finish this, but the less painfull way and the best way.. without having to spend $$$.

I dont like Fender's Anyway. (Unless I win that $1700 Fender JAzz Bass Deluxe!!)

14. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I know that you've already started sanding on the paint job, but the easiest way to remove acrylic paint is to go to your local drug store and get a couple of bottles of finger nail polish remover...the stuff with acetone in it....also get some gloves....it will be a messy job, but it will be faster and save your hands from sanding.

15. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Ifabara: What in the world were you thinking of? If you had said in your original post that the bass belonged to someone other than yourself I would never have offered you ANY advice. You say the bass belongs to a "friend". Are you sure you meant to say friend? If i loaned you my bass and you "suddenly offered" to do anything to my bass, I would assume that since you made the offer that you would know what you're doing. Friend that you may be, you'd be dealing with a law suit at the best and a VERY serious ass kicking at the worst.

Since you created the mess, it's your responsibility to straighten out the mess. Take the bass to a good luthier and tell him to do whatever it takes to straighten out the mess. He's not likely to do the work for free, but at least he will take responsibility if he screws the instrument up.

I'm sorry you don't like fenders but I don't believe most people that have followed this thread would put much weight on your recommendations anyway.

I,m sorry for the rant but instrument butchers(Fender or otherwise) just pi$$ me off in a special way.

==================================================
    Hehe.
    Actually the Fender is not mine. Its a friend's. He lend it to me , and suddenly I asked if he wanted it to be fretless..
    And the asked me.. CAN YOU DO IT?? (quote)
    =================================
    Starting the post out with "hehe" tells me exactly how upset you are about destroying someone elses instrument.

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Let me tell you something.
    I understand your point of view.. due to my given information.
    But I have DONE it before, with my OWN bass.. and ATK300.
    Everything I asked here, was just to make the job EASIER than It was when I did my Ibanez ATK300, wich had also an acrylic finish in Black.
    I by no means would ever touch another persons bass without his/her consent or aprovation. He Wanted it to be fretless..., and HE wanted it to be Natural Finish.
    Thanks for your opinion.

Also.. I found that some Woodworkers here in Ecuador charge very little for copying the Fender body..
    I was thinking of making one out of Mahogany... for a natural finish..
    you know.. he charges me just $10
    :)

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks for the Acetone tip.. I happen to have about a litter of pure acetone in my garage.
    :)

18. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    mmm.... Mahogony Fender JAZZ!!!!
    Here's your chance!

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The acetone did not work.
    :(
    Anyway, I tried using a Hairdrier...
    It worked , I had to lift the Acrylic by using some tools..
    but it worked in some areas.
    Now.. I used a Steaming Iron.. (the one used in clothes..
    and worked very nice)Does the Acrylic have to lift for itself or what??

20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, i went to a local hardware store and bought a PowerDriller Sanding kit for just $6
    I finally took off all the paint and the wood imperfections.
    Althought I had to use a Dremel for the Cutaways.