Detaching a head from a combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, May 29, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hi...Practicing today through my little 15" Crate combo. when an idea sort of dawned on me. The thing has an XLR balanced out on, in theory, if I turned off the master volume, and use the Gain and EQ, I could use it like a pre-amp, with no sound coming out, right? It's what I do w/ my Eden WT-300 for my band practice and gig rigs....

Now, the head of the combo has two wires leading out, a red one, and a black one, they both lead to the speaker, via small junction clips (so the head can be detached w/out cutting wires), I could theoretically use the detached combo head as a pre-amp in front of a poweramp?

I ask because I might have to do this...the Eden WT-300's is probably going into the shop for a while, and I need a pre-amp for however long it takes...and this would be a nice solution, w/o spending any money...
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Actually thought about doing this with my BX-100 when I didn't think I could sell it. It's a pretty simple operation, although you might want to get some kind of case to put the actual head into once you get it out of the combo, the metal seemed pretty flimsy to me. I pulled the whole unit out to repair an issue with the input jack, and the idea dawned on me of using just the electronics, since it does have 8-band EQ and that XLR out. About your question, although I can't speak from experience, I think your idea would work, since the head does have an XLR line-out level control. Great little amp, kinda makes me sad I sold it... but the little red "power on" LED on my SWR is all i need now.:D