Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detailed Bass Cleaning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dox, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Well I just bought a new set of strings (my low E was taperwound and teh rest arn't, kinda through me for a couple of days until I realized it doh...) Anyway, my fingerboard has an inch of gunk on it. What are some way so fme to clean teh fret board. I heard of using brillo pad but the steel is like a no no as I was told before. Second is. I heard you can use automobile wax for the body. How often should I do that. I have a jewelry polishing cloths for my metal parts. Then I also heard that putting a dab of alcohol on a soft cloth and then rubbing it along your strings after playing them will help them from getting dirty. If you can answer only one of these then please give me ways to clean my fretboard.. Thank you very much...

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Dox, brass wool is safe to use but Scotchbrite pads are better.

Auto wax is ok But Johnsons paste wax makes for a more durable finish. Bowling alley wax is good but takes more elbow grease. Avoid any wax or cleaner that contains silicones. If you ever touch up or refinish the paint later you'll run into problems.

You don't really have sex with stuffed sheep do you?

3. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Hey... Do you have a problem with my sexual relations with stuffed sheep? Cause I do have sex with them.... Very frequantly.. Why you ask.. Cause I am a loser... But moving on to my second love after sheep (that's a lie.. I love nothing more then my Jennifer (bass' name)) I forgot to ask about what to put on the wood.. Like the back of the neck. I soem time get gunk on that but I usually just rub it off with a soft cloth.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If the neck has a finish on it, use the same wax as you do on the body. If the neck isn't finished, I would suggest lemon oil but some may not agree.

No, I dont have a problem with your sexual choice. Does your stuffed sheep have a name? Was your stuffed sheep a virgin when you met? Do you ever feel the need to make an honorable sheep out of your ,uh, lover or is marriage not an option?

Please forgive my curiosity. It's just that all the sheep in my neighorhood are kinda ugly so we just sorta don't do what you do. Of course, if it was a very attractive sheep....... nahhhh.

5. ...eh?