Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detective shows must end.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Jun 19, 2005.

1. You know, I don't have cable. When, for whatever reason, I watch television in the evenings, I find that there is a period of about six hours taken up by one detective show after another. There are all those CSI shows, and there are other ones too, though I don't know what they're called. But the thing is, I hate these shows w/ a passion.

It's not just because they're mainly people playing w/ corpses. That bothers me, but only so much. What really burns me about these shows is the realistic portrayal of detective types. They think they're so damn cool w/ their one-liners, and I'm talkin' real life now. If you ever have to deal w/ detectives, be prepared. It is hard not to laugh at them. They have all these things that they say, like, "do you gamble?"

"Why no, I don't gamble, and this has nothing to do with gambling. Do you think your life is a TV show?" And really, they must.

Okay, maybe not all of them. Maybe it's just the ones I've dealt with.

The only thing I like about TV is TVs Becker. Yes, I know, it's just called Becker, but I call it TVs Becker. I don't know why. But really, what a good show...........highlight of my day........That chick that works for Dr. Becker is so hot.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I didn't read any of your post but I read the title. I highly agree.

3. I wouldn't want to generalize too much here about people who I'v3e never met. That would be like something an australian would do.......

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry, this statement just took away all of your credibility.

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I"d rather watch monk than csi.
    monks great. :D , I can relate to him at times. :bag:

6. oh c'mon! That show is spectacular! The music is amazing, the blind guy can't see, the fat guy.....exists......sometimes.......

okay, it's weak, but still better than any CSI show, even the one with Conan O'brien as the main character.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The guy says he has no cable, so Monk's out... Myself, I've stopped watching TV except for maybe baseball, (The wife and daughter are fanatics!!)

-robert

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nowadays I only watch TV for anime :p :D

And sometimes news/weather

And some interesting things about WWII or nature of etc on Discovery/NGC/Animal Planet/Spectrum

That's it.

And I play bass/practice while watching, so I have one more point :p

9. the science channel is my favorite. I only get to watch it when I'm stuck on the northshore, which is also when i post here......stupid northshore......paint dries slowly.....must.....escape..... :help: :mad:

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

+1

I took a Criminal Justice class at a community college (just to get the FAQ about cops searching my car hehe) and my instructor informed us more than once that almost all of the CSI type shows are a buncha hogwash. It never happens like that in real life. It was funny too cause the first day everyone introduced themselves and stated why they took the class and probably half the class wanted to be a detective like the ones on TV. I couldn't help laughing.

Oog

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What do you guys expect- it's dramatic tv. You think people are going to want to watch someone reading a case file at their desk for an hour?

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dude, having lived both one the southshore (Kenner) and on the northshore (Slidell), I'll take the northshore anytime over the cesspool that is GNO....nastiest, dirtiest, most garbage-encrusted hole I've ever lived in or witnessed....

That said, I dig the Science Channel too...

And on topic, the whole group of Law & Order shows is first-rate, IMO, but CSI just makes me want to find a cooking show to sleep through. I find them annoying.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

same here
    I don't like CSI, it's only "cool" looking.

Law&Order (especially SVU) and Monk are my two favorites.

14. +1
    sometimes I watch cops so I can laught at all the rednecks

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I like CSI, but mainly because Marge Helgenberger gives me a stiffy.

16. ..and a better chance of getting shot, if that's your thing.

Mike

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...oh yeah, I left that whole "murder capital of the US" part out as well....good catch, Mike!

18. First thing I noticed when we moved out here. EVERY newscast opens with a murder.

Mike

19. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    +1

Although, I do actually LIKE the show, even though I know it's bogus, just like I watch 24 even though I know there's no way any government agency is that efficient. As was said below, I wouldn't want to watch a show about homicide detectives reading case files and filing reports for an hour. CSI Beaurocracy? Law and Order: Special Pencil Pushers? I don't think so, even though it's closer to reality.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yeah, that's a comforting feeling, ain't it? Nope, not moving back to Lousy-ana, stayin' right here in sleepy Greensboro.

...did I mention that the HIGH temperature today was 75, it was a glorious blue-sky day, the humidity was low, the baseball game was fun, and the beer was cold and tasty?

...and no one got murdered here, this month, so far?

:D

Oh, and I get to go play in sawdust all day again tomorrow, then go to yet another baseball game right across the street!!!

:hyper: