Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detergent question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrazyTwoKnobs, Nov 15, 2003.

1. ok, So today I noticed a stern warning on my clothes washer. "Using too little detergent is a common cause of laundry problems."
    I'm thinking: "Hey, I worked at banana for quite some time, and have dealt with many laundry related issues. How come this never came up?"

Does anybody know why this is? Can it really cause problems? What kind of problems? I prefer to use as little detergent as possible, not only to assuage my cost issues (college student), but to also prevent damage to delicate fabrics (strech fabrics, etc. Even some wools can be washed delicately, believe it or not)

How can too little detergent cause problems?

2. pineapple

pineapple

Oct 16, 2003
    lexington, ky
    it doesn't. they're pulling your chain. use more=buy more. consume, consime, consume.

i use as little as possible also, because using too much is pointless. i'm sensitive to soaps and softeners.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I generally use HALF what the Tide box recommends. My clothes always come out clean and fresh smelling. There simply is no reason to use more than the minimal amount to get your clothes clean. Also my husband is hyper-allergic to detergent. He knows instantly if I have used even a little more than usual because he breaks out in rashes.

Using more detergent (which means using what the box says to use) just makes it harder to rinse the clothing and get that soap out of your clothes. The detergent makers just want you to use more, so you'll have to keep buying more.

4. this was on the WASHER not the detergent box....