Determining appropriate modes and / or scales

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Determining appropriate modes and / or scales

There must be something online where I can specify the notes I use in my bass line...

And have it indicate for me which scales and modes can be used by a soloist, etc. With my notes from my line.

Is anyone aware of such a program?

I am hoping it might be as complete of results as I might find by using the grimoire!
  2. note to moderators: This thread should be in General Instruction or Miscellaneous.

I'm sure Pacman, Ed Fuqua, and Bruce Lindfield will enjoy answering your question!:rolleyes:
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Sure. just follow this link:
  4. jlmorgan

May 12, 2002
    I've always tried to take as simple an approach to theory as possible. I figure the less stuff you have to think about while your playing the better. This is how I approach modes. I don't know if its 100% correct but it works for me. Basically, I don't use mode patterns. Modes are all based on their respective major or minor scale right?. So if you move up the scale corresponding to the key from the root you get the same effect as playing the mode patterns, and it is a lot less to think about. I don't know if that came out the right way but you get the general idea. I geuss my question is whether there is any real reason to use mode patterns?
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Strange question, considering he, apparently, plays a 9 string. And quite well. Hhhmmm.
  6. I don't know about online, but I can think of two things on your head that will help in this endeavor. They're called your ears. Use 'em.
  7. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Do you have some wicked crazy bass line and you want to figure out how to make a melody over it?
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man, is this ever the truth!! If there's one thing I've learned in my study of chord theory and modes, it's that trying to adhere too strictly to the way each mode should correspond to a guitarist's chords will basically give you a headache and cause you to freeze up in mid-song.

Studying, learning and understanding theory is EXTREMELY vital to one's growth as a musician, but one should never lose sight of the need to be able to play with "feel" as well.