Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

determining load of equipment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by litigrfx, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Hello, I recently bought an Furman AR-1215 line voltage regulator to use for my bass amp rack and reading the manual under max/min load I had seen that the total load should not exeed 12 amps or 1400 watts. My question is, how do I determine what the total load in amps or watts of my equipment equals? For example,
    my set up consists of:
    Ampeg SVT Pro 3 amplifier- speaker output 450 watts@4ohms
    Ampeg SVP-BSP preamp
    Alembic SF2 Superfilter
    Retrospec tube compressor
    Sometimes I may replace a componet or 2 depending on what kind of sound I need, but normally use the same amplifier.
    I've looked through the owner's manuals but have not noticed anything that specifically tells me what the load of the particular component is.
    If you could offer any assistance, I would grately appreciate it. Thank you. Chuck

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass!

On most amps there is a label right next to the cord or the fuse that says 'Power Consumption', at least on my stuff (German regulation?)
    Also German electricity companies offer a power meter what you can borrow. You can use it to exactly measure the power consumption during use.
    Ask your power company if they provide a similar service or buy one at a electronics shop, they're not that expensive (around 30$ over here). It's also a great device to spot the things in your household that use too much electricity and make your electricity bill so huge.

But your gear should be well under 1400W. I doubt that the Ampeg is over 1kW and the rest should only be a couple of watts each.

3. Thanks for the info, i checked behind the amp and saw the usual 120vac-60hz and also 1000watts max. for the preamp it just says 120-60 15va. Sounds like i'm in a safe range. I guess I should be concerned if I want to plug another amplifier into the line regulator?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Exactly. Everything should be fine, unless you add another (BIG) poweramp.

15VA is 15W btw.
    Watt = Volt x Ampere