Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detroit Bass fest- Review and PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    First off, I'd like to thank Bob, Ryan, Jeff and Don of Low Down Sound for giving Pat (TB user cheezewiz) and I a warm welcome, and freedom to play anything we wanted to there. They had MTD, Sadowsky, Lakland, Zon, and others for us to check out. Great bunch of guys, and super nice gear. The biggest surprise out of all the gear was the new Gallien Krueger line. Holy crap that stuff sounded GOOD!

Here's a shot of one of their bass wall, WOW there's some nice stuff!

[​IMG]

Me checking out a definite favorite in the store, a sonus 5

[​IMG]

We spent a few hours checking things out in the store before the first of two bass clinics started. First up is our very own talkbass pro, Mike Dimin. What a GREAT player. Mike has a book coming out early 2005 I will definitely pick up. From what little he explained in the clinic about the "five scale positions", it has helped me to understand options I had not noticed in my 20 years of playing. What a great player, and down to earth, genuinely friendly person. I bought his CD while I was there, highly reccomended.

[​IMG]

Up after Mike was the great Norm Stockton, an AMAZING player! Norm covered the art of groove, and with no doubt I can say this man is a master of the groove. BEST tone all weekend IMO was Norm with his 535 through his new GK 1001 RB, and neo 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Norm was also genuinely friendly, both him and Mike went out of their way to be accomodating to Pat and myself. I also picked up Norm's "Pondering the Sushi" CD which smokes!

[​IMG]

After the clinics, we were invited to dinner at a nice Italian restaraunt with the LDS guys, Mike, and Norm.....how cool is THAT????? Again, both of these world class players are as friendly and accomodating as it gets. I had Norm hassling me for ordering Steak so late at night, but I survived. I also got to explain to Norm that Faygo is like a Squier Pepsi :) Great times, it was the highlight of the trip for me!

Day 2, we had some time to kill, so we caught "Team America:world police". Great movie! After that was over, we got to the venue a little early, and met Steve Lawson, whom Pat and I have known personally as an e-friend for quite some time on the dudepit.

[​IMG]

We also chatted with Norm and Mike again before things got started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things got started with a quick jam by Jacquo lll X, followed by Michael Dimin's brillian Jazz set...tasty stuff, and he played the "most beautiful song ever written" :)

[​IMG]

Following up Dimin was young Jon Reshard. HOLY CRAP this kid has chops! Amazing stuff, IMO vic has nothing on him. While his set was filled with tremendous earthshaking thump and tapping, I bought his CD is it also showed a much more musical, grooving side. I look for BIG things out of this youngster, he IS the definition of MONSTER!

[​IMG]

Up next was Jacquo lllX, with an acompanying vocalist. Jacquo has some great chops, but this set quite honestly wasn't my thing. He also had a lightwave fretless, and it is interesting to see the optical pickup system sees every camera flash as POP!

[​IMG]

Up next was one I have been looking forward to for a while, Steve Lawson! His set was obviously well planned and performed perfectly (except forgetting the battery in the E-bow....that's okay, the loopers don't get tired LOL) Steve opened up with the title track from Grace and Gratitude, my personal fave from Steve. Incredible performance, and I am glad I finally got to see how all those sounds are made by a bass!

[​IMG]

Next was Norm Stockton. He again showed everyone why he is a master of the groove. His set was incredible as expected, but I would of liked to heard a longer set from Norm and a few others as well. Norm Rules!

[​IMG]

Next in the bullpen was Matt Garrison. I have to say, the type of music wasn't really my bag, but man can this cat play! Also very interesting, his set was done in quadraphonic sound. Matt will also be the cover artist of the December Bass Player issue.

[​IMG]

Closing out the night was Freekbass, who was the only performer to have a complete band with him. I didn't know what to expect from this band, but damn they are tight, and freekbass definitely has the funk! As a graduate of Bootsy, the influence is very apparent. He also has incredible stage presence. This band is cut out to go a long ways, definitely a great live act.

[​IMG]

A 2 hour ride home listening to our new CD's ended the trip. It was both very fun, and inspiring at the same time. That's about all there is to tell. A great time has been had by all, new friends were made, e-friends met for the first time, and I am really looking forward to getting up there again next year for a great time again. Don't miss it!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Cool review. I'm jealous you got to see Matt Garrison play, my favorite bassist (and I think his music is far and away better than most bassists).

I gotta say though...you think Vic has nothing on Jon Reshard? This dude has copped all of his stuff from Vic, down to his bass! Have you ever seen Vic live? :confused: I've seen him live probably 12 times now and I think it would be tough for anyone to be at a point where he has "nothing on them" especially someone who got their entire sound from him. ;)

Cool pics and info though, thanks!

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If that makes you jealous, how would you feel if I told you he set in the chair directly left of me 90% of the night :) I didn't bother him though.

Have you see Reshard live? I said earlier that the vic influence was obvious, and there was an "IMO" in that as well. I never said he was an innovator, but chop for chop I stand by my statement this kid could stay step for step with anyone. His CD also proves he has the groove and musical feeling outside of the chops as well.

We all have our influences no doubt, but again....this kid is a chop monster. I'm sorry your opinion differs.

4. Sounds like a fabulous couple of days, Tim. I've had the pleasure of meeting Norm on a couple of occasions and he really is the coolest, nicest guy out there. Oh, and a MONSTER groover. Our man Steve is also muchos fun, and tres funny. Glad you got to see him make his weird noises. It's quite an eye opener isn't it?

Wow. Oh to have been there... :D

Oh well.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    John definitely has been strongly influenced by Vic - but what I really saw this past weekend is that he is really starting to develop his own voice - and at 19, that pretty amazing

Mike

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Tim,
    Thanks for the great pics and review. I think that the first Detroit Bass Fest was a unqualified success. Hey, can I use that pic on my website?

Mike

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I would just like to say I had a ball and was making the best of it.Kool pics and Review as well.all the guys were great as always.as far as the pops,that was even happening when the LW wasen't plugged in.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    We both enjoyed your playing a ton Jauqo. For you guys that haven't heard Jauqo...do it!

The whole show really smoked. I highly recommend anyone that can attend next year. The guys at LDS were awesome too!

One of the great things about the show was getting to speak with all the artists one on one. Every guy at the show was extremely accessible and nice. Yes Jared, we sat next to Matt Garrison for the whole show ;)

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Who organizes BassFests ? Is their a web addy ? (www.bassfest.com is about fishing)

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    John..I believe Low Down Sound put on the show. The show website was www.detroitbassfest.com, but I dont believe its been updated since before the show.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The show was put on my Les Colley and Bob DeGeorge. Bob happens to work at LDS but LDS was just a sponsor of the event and not the organizer

Mike

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I stand corrected!

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Absolutely! I'm by no means a phtographer, my wife just has a kick ass digital :)

Glad to see you are home safe.

Tim

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have more pics from the performances, and anyone who would like to use them is more than welcome! I'll upload them tonight and catagorize by artist, then post the link to the directory here. If you wanted to credit me for the pics, that would be even cooler.

Mr. Reshard, I tried to reply to your email, but got an error message back, so I thought I would post this here to get your attention.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya know what Jared, I'd think that would be kind of offensive to Jon. I'm sure he was greatly influenced by Vic. A whole generation of bass players were. This kid is great in his own right though. Have you ever seen him perform? I'd put his chops up against ANYONES. I also don't see anything wrong with him using the same model bass as Victor does. Aren't YOU the one that had a yin/yang like Victors made, and a singlecut like Garrisons? Vic, Garrison and Jon are all great players. One using the other for an influence doesn't change that.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Jon Reshard has got a great head on his shoulders, understands the music and his role in it. As I said to him, I wish I was that way when I was 19.

Mike

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It's his chops and it is his musicianship as well

Mike

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Agreed Mike. That points out perfectly that Jon is a very good artist in his own right, NOT some Vic wannabe.

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow. I'm pining for the grey industry of Detroit right now! Sounds like it was an absolutely killer time, and WHAT A LINEUP!!! So far I've only seen Norm - but if the rest were as good as him, wow.

sheesh

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Okay, I got everything I took uploaded, they are kinda big filesize (whatever the camera takes, uncompressed) for best quality. Feel free to use them for whatever you would like! They are catagorized by artist, some are better than others, but all I took are here.

Enjoy!

http://421rocks.com/bassfestpics/