1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Detroit Bass Players 2nd Annual Photo Shoot this Saturday

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by kerrycares, Aug 6, 2012.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Motown Museum Meeting Itinerary:

10:00 Museum opens, Detroit Bass Players welcome to come and tour Motown (parking is confirmed for across the street)

12:30 Motown Museum CEO will address DBP

1:00 PHOTO SHOOT

2:00 Interviews with the press and media

3:00 More Motown Museum tours for DBP

Admission to the museum is as follows:
    $8.00 ADULTS
    $6.00 SENIORS OVER 62
    $6.00 KIDS UNDER 12

We are going to have a great time again!

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    As Kerry pointed out in his original post, the photo shoot that happened yesterday was a GREAT event. What Kerry humbly left out is that he was one of the key members responsible for making it all happen. I ran into a few TB regulars there.

• Kerry Lacy (Kerrycares)
    • P. Aaron and his daughter
    • Burk48237

I was there with my two sons

c30c5b2a.

Here's a picture of my youngest son Justin (in black t-shirt) to his left is his teacher Lamont Johnson, and to his left, with the H on his shirt is Brandon Rose. Some of you have probably seen some of the videos of Brandon lightin' it up.

38f993f7.

And here's one of me messing around with one of the coolest basses I've ever seen. Larry Lee's NFL themed bass:

bd0132a3.

Larry certainly handles it better than I do.

9ecb5416.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Hey James, It was truly cool seeing you again. I miss the old LDS hangs and GTG's. It was cool seeing Ryan, P. Aaron, the Popester, Kerry, and Gordy again. We must do something this fall and get Jason up from Ann Arbor, and maybe get some of the OH boys up.

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    whoa....why havent i done this?

5. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    I was there, didn't get into any pics partly because it was my first time there and had to do the tour. But I tell you what, standing in the middle of the Snakepit was surreal to say the least. The place is like a bass players Mecca, now with an annual pilgrimage.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Here's a picture from 2011:
    IMG_1298.
    Here's 2012's turnout (the elder gentleman with the upright in the center is Dan Pliskow. A fine teacher & mentor):
    Dan-Pliskow-in-the-middle.

James(Malthumb) & sons:
    James-JustinandAndrew.

Lotsa cool basses:
    John-Turo-01.
    lotsa folks takin' pics (Anthony Beauford):
    IMG_1632.
    My daughter Kelsey came with me again:
    Untitled.
    Here's a shot for your photo albums:
    IMG_1636.
    Organizer of the Detroit Bass Players (DBP) and the DBP Facebook page, Craig Skoney:
    Craig-Skoney.
    James showing the many fans his beautiful Alembic:
    Untitled-1.
    Dude's doublin' up:
    2-fisted-basser.

7. P. Aaron

Bass Player's was goin' crazy over James' Sabre. Myself included.
    IMG_1635.
    Here I am in the middle.
    IMG_1656.

An awesome event. The museum is a great place to do this event.

Special thanks to Kerry Lacey who was the tireless promoter and MC of the get together. A fun couple of hours!

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I can't recall his name, but he made both of those basses. The fretted one is, as he explained, his only set neck. Everything else he's produced has been neck-thru.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I think the lady on the far left with the natural finish Sadowsky with blocks is also a TB member. Somebody mentioned that in passing as I was heading to my car, and I never had the opportunity to meet her. Michelle, I think?

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That's Michelle Hobbs (and she can flat out play too). Byron Rossi another TB'er was also there.

11. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    Crap! I wish I would have known about this sooner. Totally would have went...

12. P. Aaron

Ask to join at the Detroit Bass Player's Face Book page. Then...you'll be in_the_know!:hyper:

13. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thats awesome Gents. I'm originally from Detroit, though I haven't lived there in over a decade. Its still the only place that truly feels like home.

14. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Well, I was going to ask how I could know about this in advance next time but I see it's already been asked and answered so now I know.

Looks like a great time!

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Awesome. Nice to see a lot of old friends in the pictures.

I describe my 7 years in Detroit as 'bass heaven'. An amazing population of amazing players and great people. I too miss the weekly GTG's we had, both at my house, and primarily the old Low Down Sound store.

Pretty amazing to be hanging out on a weekday afternoon at the store and run into Aretha's bassist, etc. Some of the best players I've ever experienced, and also some of the nicest people.

Good job Kerry!

K

16. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks Ken,
    the first year was good the second year was great!
    The museum really appreciated the exposure and we got two great stories in the newspaper thanks to Craig Skoney.

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...ond-annual-gathering-Motown-Historical-Museum

17. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Detroit Bass Players; this year we had a much bigger turnout from our female, high school and collegiate Detroit Bass Players!

18. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey man please join us on Detroit Bass Players on facebook!
    I'm from Ohio but I didn't start playing bass until I moved to the "D".

Kerry

19. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan

Great review,now with an annual pilgrimage, sweet!

Kerry