Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detroit Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Deynn, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever used Detroit Bass Strings...from Webstrings.com?

2. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
  3. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Thread necromancy of EPIC proportions!

4. I use their 50-110 flats.
    Great tension, nice tone, play in quickly.
    IMHO as good, if not better than the Ernie Balls & possibly d'Addario Chromes I used previously.
    Give 'em a go - recommended.

5. I wonder if they ARE Ernie Ball's or D'Addario's products relabeled?
    Josh

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Arent Ernie Balls made by another company to begin with?

7. They are made in USA.

Didn't think there were actually that many string factories over there(?)

8. Webstrings buys from one or two manufacturers who make strings for Ernie Ball, GHS, SIT, D'Addario and others. La Bella, on the other hand, actually makes their own in their own factory. Webstrings sells without any fancy names or stuff on the package, hence the low price. Quality is unaffected.

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

GHS, SIT, and Daddario have their own manufacturing places but they make strings for other companies.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Tone is decent but VERY floppy and difficult to pay faster passages IMO.

11. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I've been using their 45-105 -SS- set for about 3 years. Never got a bad one...
    I really like them. fast service and CHEAP.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah John I like the tone, but for some reason when I really dig in they are so floppy I have a hard time playing fast. They resonate so much the strings seem not to settle down enough to bang out fast notes. I can see these as great strings if someone was more into country or more of a root player. But for me I need more tension. They were a great and cheap introduction to flats for me!

13. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I used Rotosound for 30 years. The stainless roundwound set.
    Webstrings are the same guage as the rotos, but seem to have a bit more punch in the low-mids. They are also much easier on my frets for some reason....They do have slightly less tension than rotos---but I got used to it quickly...and actually prefer it now.

BTW I've never broken one yet!

14. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    i bought 3 sets of the Detroit Nickels to try out. I have them on my Jaz and PJ basses.

I like them on my J so far but have only played them at one gig and one rehearsal. I'm still tweaking the PJ but they have a pretty meaty sound on it.

I don't think I'll like them better than Sunbeams, but they seem like a pretty good string to have a couple of sets handy if you need spares.

15. nomadh

nomadh

Feb 6, 2008
    I thought necromancy was magic conjuring. I think this is necrophilia :)