1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Detroit Jazz Fest Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by burk48237, Sep 4, 2008.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    While Detroit has a lot if issues, the river-front and the Jazz fest are definite pluses. Here's a little photo essay from a couple of days at the festival. The BEST free Jazz show in the world.

The corridor leading into Hart Plaza:
    JF1.

Barry Malone and Christian McBride tearing it up on the Water front stage. Christian McBride was the "artist in residence" this year and the theme was Philly / Detroit artist playing together. Christian probably played with a dozen different combinations of the weekend:
    JF2.

One of the two fountains in Hart Plaza:
    JF3.

The crowd in the main amphitheater for Ravi Coltrane with Jack DeJonet, Charlie Haden, Geri Allen and a few others for a Coltrane tribute.
    JF4.

2. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Charlie Haden and pianist Geri Allen. Charlie was in this weird both, but man can he squeeze notes out of the bass:

JF5.

The incomparable Jack Dejonett:

JF6.

Stanley Jordan on the bid screen at the Chase stage:

JF7.

Another shot of Stanley Jordan. If you ever get the chance to see him especially in an intimate setting take it. He is an amazing player. His trio included Kenwood Denard and Bassist Charnett Moffat:

JF8.

Kenwood Denard and Stanley Jordan:

JF9.

The city lights up by the Chase stage:

JF10.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Whoa.....I just had a 6th sense moment.

Nice photos! :)

4. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Brian Broomberg band. Brian reprised his "Upstairs, Downstairs" CD with Randy Brecker, Charles Meek, Terron Gulley, Jeff Lorber and himself. I'm not crazy about Brians electric stuff (a bit too smooth). But I've always liked his acoustic stuff. Here's Brian with Charles Meek:

JF11.

Brian kicking it during a solo:

JF12.

Jeff Lorber, who looks a bit like Quizimoto.:D But in a straight ahead jazz contact the man can play:

JF13.

Randy Brecker blowing a solo:

JF14.

Brian on the Electric. I went home and plugged in my Sadowsky to hear what a good bass sounded like.;)

JF15.

5. Great pics and welcome back!

One of these years, I will have to stay in town Labor Day weekend and check that out. However, the North woods and lakes always call stronger for me at this stage in my life.

Per your comment on Charlie playing in a sound booth, I believe he has very severe hearing issues, and that it's literally painful for him to play even with moderate stage volume. I think I remember that correctly.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Burke is back!!! :bassist:

7. Man, just think how good Brian would sound if he took a few lessons and someone taught him how to pluck with his right hand and fret with his left:D

8. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Seriously Ken the electric sounded like the enhance had been cranked to the max. Zero punch. He can play, no doubt about it, but he needs to spend some time on TB to learn from Kjung "the tone master":D on how to get a GOOD tone out of his bass. You could help him with that fretting technique too.

9. Yeah, I think he uses a combination of magnetic and piezo pickups. Those piezo things can really 'scoop out' a bass tone. I guess nothing wrong with that, but not my thing. His DB tone is glorious though!

Great pic's!

10. Bruhman

Bruhman

Aug 28, 2007
    Did you see Christian McBride direct the Marvin Gaye Tribute on opening night? I'm sorry, there's a reason he was the artist-in-residence. The man is simply the most consummate musician on the planet. He was funkin' so HARD on the electric bass, then turned around and played in about 6 different contexts during the 4 day festival. Sorry, but Haden, Moffett, Bromberg, nor anyone else can do what he does. Every bass player should want to be like him. **** the chops (which he has more than almost anyone else), he's just a superior musician. I love the cat.

11. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I missed the opening night, But there's no doubt in my mind the man can play. His solo's are very harmonically rich. Broomberg is showier, and I must admit I LOVE Broombergs acounstic tone (not so much his electric tone). But he does his stuff over simpler material. It's a great festival. And Will Lee shows up usually every other year. Hard to beat for free. I'm considering getting a hotel room down there next year even though I'm twenty-five minutes away.