Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by bassbuz, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    so. anybody know what happened in Detroit? tryouts for principal.
  2. Masterbass

Feb 25, 2006
    I heard that they didn't like Ben Jensen or Volkan Orhon so they invited Robert Caplin from the Rhode Island Philharmonic to be principal without auditioning. That guy is supposed to be so awesome.
  3. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    that kind of makes me sad.
  4. KDC

Oct 30, 2005
    can they do that?? what are the union rules about such a thing?? yes very sad - when so many have put in the time and energy to go to Detroit to audition!! Ah well.......
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I dunno. They had auditions and nobody was right, so they went drafting. It sounds fair enough to me.
  6. bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I think that sucks. No offense to Rhode Island guy.
  7. prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Thats odd cause Volkhan still has another trial week. I think theres some leg pulling happening here.
  8. Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    Masterbass--If you're so sure about what's going on in Detroit, who specifically told you about this?
  9. bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    ya. well right or not, fair or not, that kind of stuff comes usually from the top. and the top doesn't always know or think long term.. It's about power and not always the best kind of power. who's at the top over there?
  10. Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    I thought it would worth pointing out that I know one of the finalists for this position very closely. They finished their trial weeks two weeks ago and another candidate will have their second week in the middle of March. First of all, unless the DSO is hiding something, it is very unlikely that they would simply allow a candidate to be principal without auditioning. They might be willing to give them trial weeks, but that's a whole different story. Quite frankly, the purpose behind these trial weeks to give the bass section an opportunity to evaluate who is the best fit for them. So simply giving the job to someone in Rhode Island would be out of character for how the Detroit Symphony acts. In the trial process, they're having both candidates play several solos with the orchestra. According to an itinerary, the only candidates listed are Volkan Orhan and Ben Jensen. So, whoever made the comment about the DSO disliking both Volkan and Ben has some explaining to do.
  11. Allan Santos

Allan Santos

Dec 17, 2005

Right now, no one. They are in a music director search.

12. bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    the plot thickens.
  13. Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    Let's get this straight. They're not inviting some random person. That's completely absurd.
  14. Masterbass

Feb 25, 2006
    So, what I heard is that Robert Caplin came and subbed with the DSO last year and they liked him so much that they had a private audition for him, to try and make things right with the union. They thought that they should hold some kind of real audition before they officially gave him the job. Congrats to Robert!
  15. Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    So who told you this? No way are they just going to give someone a private audition because they subbed.
  16. Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    Good call KPO. A decision is not supposed to be made for at least two and a half weeks, since I know one of the finalists. Case closed. This is dead.
  17. From who?
  18. InwoodFerri

Mar 12, 2006
    My understanding of this issues was that Robert Caplin was not invited to be principal of DSO--nor did he take a private audition. As for the trialists how and why was an opinion of Volkan Ohran made public before his trial? My understaning is that he was made aware of this opinion right before he left to play his trial! All this drama makes taking an audition even more daunting.:rollno:
  19. Masterbass

Feb 25, 2006
    Just telling everyone what I heard . . .