1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline" (pictures)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Lesser, Mar 12, 2009.

1. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Heartbreaking!

Eerie and beautiful at the same time.

I don't hit the road as often as I used to but when I do I see more & more of this in the small cities & towns here in America.
    :crying:

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Like something out of a video game....

America, what has become of us?

-richard

3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Head over to my T shirt thread and find out. Doesn't surprise me.

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Saskatchewan
    That theater looks incredible. They should make a survival horror game based in Detroit.

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    That train station would make for a classic train level.

6. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Grawr where's the left 4 dead map builder when you need one.

7. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That last photo was sweet. I think that was that french guys photo, I have seen that one before.

9. You can come on down and get the real thing. :)

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Bad brains, do you have your photos hosted somewhere? I am not sure why but this stuff fascinates me.

11. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    heh, probably be pretty close around 2 or 3 in the morning too.
    don't bring any change in your pockets the zombies can hear it.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The sad thing is how much potential the area has. The Detroit area is a great area to live when the economy is strong. Lots to do, excellent music scene, and a vibrant community of bass players, and a great hockey team. As an outdoors lover, the potential for some great hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking within a couple hours of the city is exceptional.

The city on the other hand may be beyond hope, it has been run by people for years who are much more concerned about who gets the credit, and who pulls the strings, and who has the "power" then actually getting things done. The anti-business bureaucracy disaster of city government is not capable of accomplishing basic services such as issuing permits, doing inspections, etc. Most small business men just get frustrated, pack up, and move out. The city has far more vacant land then occupied land. And the City Council is far more concerned about who "controls things" then if there's anything left to control. I can't say anything more without getting far to political. But a bunch of sixth graders would do a far better job running the city.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    My brother lives in a suburb of Detroit and he drove me through some of these areas of decay near Tiger Stadium. Huge old beautiful mansions laid to decay, boarded up, some burnt out, trash everywhere, buildings crumbing. Whole neighborhoods abandoned.

It's devastating to witness first hand.

Michigan is in a depression. In Detroit 40% of kids do not graduate from High School, 40% unemployment. Has to be the worst state right now economically.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I have heard that very same thing from multiple sources.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Good times. I think I'm gonna buy a gun.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Did you learn anything from that debacle? :eyebrow:

17. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Didn't you take a photo of that dentist's office during one of your shoots, Bad Brains? The place looks familiar.

18. The pictures are really sad, but immensely captivating. It seems to encapsulate the whole "defeated" feeling of people/society. Those pictures, and those that Bad Brains has posted, really paint a burnt out, abandoned city, as if it were a bastion of the apocalypse.

If I didn't know better, it would make me think that those pictures represent all of Detroit.

19. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah, OT's definitely no place for possible science-related questions, kids not under the influence, and that you just cant win against oldies no matter how hard you try. And that i guess i should have bought the right size shirt (no ****). But i didnt need you guys to tell me that. Unfortunately, thats just about what i got out of that, and some laughs. Ill be back this weekend for some more pwnage fun.:rollno: