Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detune

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I´m thinkin of detuning a
    Peavey Cirrus (35") 4 string to D -F or
    even Db -E (the whole bass)
    but I think a regular stringset 0.45-1.05 is to light (thin)
    Any suggestions? (gauges and/or brands)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It should work. At least try it out before changing gauges.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thank You for answering

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I've tried it with the .110-.050 from d'Addario... a bit more tension then a regular low B, quite close to the tension of a .100-.045 tuned E to G.

take care
    PL

5. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks
    The Peavey Cirrus 4 is a 35" so I think D´addarios(36") is to short but I´ll look for other 0.50-1.10 sets

6. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    there standard set should fit quite nicely. My 6 is 35" as well and they fit. They are a bit short if you have a deeper then usual bridge bridge I don't think that the Cirrus fits that description.

PL

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Do you mean the Daddario XL Nickel Wound Heavy Gauge Long Scale set?

8. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    yes, my 6 is tuned from D to D#, I used the long scale .110 to .050 for the lower strings and got a .035 for the A# and .028 for the D#.

I've only had problems with the d'Addario long scale on a BTB and only the low B was to bit to short. The bridge on those basses require the string to be anchored deep inside the body. sO an adequate string becomes to short.

PL

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Funny You mentioned the BTB.I´ve got one fiver my own and tried Daddario XL with the same result as You.On that bass I use EXT superlong scale but the Heavy set doesn´t come superlong.That´s why I was suspicius.

10. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    There's always Labella. They have a set that is specially designed for detuning: Hard Rockin stell 054-075-090-111.

PL