Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detuned Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JehuJava, Aug 22, 2004.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Anyone have experiences with detuned cabinets especially as opposed to tuned ported cabinets?

Alan

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You're not using standard speaker vocabulary, can you describe what you mean or name a maker/model? I've never heard of a "detuned" cabinet -- I suppose if you took a tuned/ported cab and stuck some socks in one of the ports it would be detuned, or maybe just retuned.

3. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Detuned cabinets use one large port, the same size of the driver, and a large cabinet size to achieve, theoretically, a louder sound with lower lows.

Tuned ported cabinets rely on the speaker specifications to specify cabinet size and then the cabinet is tuned to a specific freq.

I'm no expert by any means...this is a very layman's explanation.

Alan

4. I went to a concert at an outdoor venue here in town and the bassist was using a detuned cab...it was a vertical 2x10 cab and he had removed the bottom speaker....for a 1x10 cabinet it sounded deep...i was impressed...not the sound that I wanted but it suited his likings and filled out the venue pretty well

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds about as intelligent as removing half the pistons from your car's engine :rolleyes:

Geri O, Bassmec and mbelue like this.
  6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you get a lot of extra cone travel, which can be bad if you push a bit too hard. It's almost like making the speaker freestading, without letting all the sound out of the back just dissipate.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    London Power has a book that tells you everything you want to know about "Detuned" cabinets with plans to build them. It is well worth the money to buy it. Also, Mad Sound cabinets builds a modified "Detuned" cabinet in North Carolina. I don't know Mad Sounds website but London Power is www.londonpower.com. These two site will tell you factually what you want to know.

8. http://www.madsound.com/

Sean is a great guy!

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, I've read most of the info (not the actual book though) on these websites. I hoping to get some actual user feedback, especially bgavin's oppinion due to his knowledge of speaker cabinet building.

The concept seems very interesting, but why wouldn't more people use this design...other than a much larger cabinet?

Alan

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey there's a website about them, so they must work.......

C'mon people, use the grey matter. We live in a world where people will invent anything with a gimick in the hope it may by some fluke catch on. Unfortunately they usually assume were all big enough idiots to rush out and buy their foolish inventions without researching first.

Who was the guy who put diamond encrusted knobs on his amps and claimed they were responsible for the brilliant sound?

11. In the days of portability I can see why this idea wouldn't catch on well.

I'm a novice when it comes to speaker cabinet design but I am getting my feet wet. I would like to know more about this idea just for the heck of it.

12. I once chopped the back of my cab off and added an extension to make it go detuned.

Im kidding :p

13. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Go here.....

http://www.linearteam.dk/

.......and download WinISD Pro. Play around with it. Design some cabinets. Make 'em too big, make 'em too small, tune 'em high, tune 'em low. Watch what happens to the various plots, especially the response curve and the speaker excursion.

(Note that, in order to see what your speaker is doing at higher volume, you'll need to set the wattage on the "signal" page to get an accurate excursion plot - by default, it's only 1 watt.)

A "detuned" cabinet - a cab tuned below the drivers resonant frequency - generally does very bad things to the speakers power handling ability, because the cone excursion goes way past desired limits (exceeds x-max) due to the absence of proper cone control from the cabinet. There are a few drivers that you can get away with running a "detuned" cab because their suspensions are stiff enough to prevent exceeding x-max, but even so, there is no advantage to doing so. They will still perform better in a normal, properly tuned cabinet.

14. Detuned cabinets? :rolleyes:

What's next? Flow-valved cabs that only let the sound OUT? Lead mesh cones? Pencil hole (TM) drivers (actually invented by Johnny Rotten)? Rubber cabinet walls?

15. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    whoah....I was just curious about them........

Alan

16. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Remember.....curiosity killed the cat.......

17. Been done by JBl, they sound really good actually.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I put it to you that the rubber had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that these things sounded good.

19. Bearded Wizard

Bearded Wizard

Oct 26, 2012
    I'm sorry to drag up this really old thread, but I figured I'd poke around and see if anyone had anything to say on the subject here before, because I've got some stuff to add.

I don't know what the software will tell you will happen, but I've actually done gigs with a detuned cab. A 1x15" with Eminence Legend CB158, ran a vintage Ampeg V4 through it. It definitely sounded different than a sealed or open back cab, and not as artificially boomy as a tuned ported cab. Kind of really natural and vintage sounding, with some extension on the lows that's not overpowering, but you can feel the difference. Surprisingly perhaps that cab wasn't really "louder" to me than a sealed cab using the same driver (I tried them with the same head). But of course I didn't instantly destroy the speaker nor did all the matter in the universe implode. It's a useful, albeit different, sound. If you've got a gigantic head like a vintage V4 and want a cab that you can place it on top of without having too many drivers or having all the weight of those drivers, the detuned cab isn't a bad option in my opinion. I'd rather use a sealed cab than a detuned one that's double the size when I've got a head that can fit on a smaller cab, but I just thought I'd share my experience for anyone interested.