Detuner options

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Aram Bedrosian, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a new bass (I'm no luthier...just a player) and I'm very curious about detuning options. I've been doing research and I've come across some threads on the subject mostly centered around hipshots and some on the Sperzel D-Thing. I know that some bridges have some capabilities...

So.... Does anyone have any pictures of Sperzel D-Things installed and/or any info on them? Hipshots seem very bulky to me. Also, If there are any other options I would love to hear about them. Some new, small, slick way to detune perhaps?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Aram

2. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    I like the detuners hipshot uses, but are a lot. If you don't mind using a different bridge, I think Ibanez makes a detuning bridge. I saw it in an old thread, can't remember where.

3. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Thanks Ireidt.

I appreciate the response. I am fairly familiar with Hipshots and although I know they work well... they are just too bulky to use on any string other than the E.

The Ibanez bridge is really cool but since I'm already having Piezos for my midi system in the bridge, that real estate is taken..

I guess I'm really hoping that some ambitious luther/machinist will read this and design a whole new super compact detuner system. :)

In the meantime... does anyone have any info or pics about the Sperzel D-thing?? I've already scoured the net and found very little.

Thanks so much!!!!

Aram

Ritter Basses
    Hartke Systems
    DR Strings

4. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Here is an image I had of a D-tuner on a Dingwall. It appears Sheldon doesn't use the base plate that comes with the tuner but just uses some brass dowel inlayed into the head stock for a cleaner look. the screws that determine the tuning butt up against the base plate (or brass) and the whole mechanism appear to pivot to detune. They appear to me to take up less room that the Hipshot tuners. The hole size through the headstock is only 7/16" also, so smaller hole than most tuners. I have some of the regular tuners and they are well made and very compact. hope this helps.

Attached Files:

5. porkchop[

porkchop[

Dec 10, 2005
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021