Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detuners/Extenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Feb 25, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi! I want to put a detuner for the B string on all my three basses. I've been looking around and I have to pay no less than $80 each (which makes for a total investment of $240). Are there any cheaper detuners? (I need 1 for a SR5 and 2 for both of my Fernandes Gravity basses -Gotoh type-). Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Also, is there any manufacturer other than Hipshot for these things?

ANDRUCA

3. If there were any other manufacturers, I bet they'd be more boutique $$$. I'd check on EBay. I see these often there, but you have to be sure you have the correct model. You can cross reference at the Hipshot site for model and fit on their chart.

I've seen them trade on EBay for @ 50 bucks or so, quite often.

4. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    123... I have seen them go used on ebay for even less than $50. One thing to think about is they can mak your bass neck heavy. I use to have one on my 99' American P, and it made the bass neck heavy. So I had to take it off, and sell it on ebay. ;)

5. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I put one on my Benavente fiver. It's nice to get that low A but I don't use it very often. You might consider putting a D Tuner on one bass and seeing how much you really use it before equipping all three basses. $50 on the Bay sounds about right.

6. So i guess ive never heard of a detuner..... Sorry for the ignorance, but could i ask what one is?
    Thanks,
    Dave

7. .. a tuner that w/a flip of a small lever, can detune a string down a set amount- for me, from B to A. Look up hipshotproducts.com. Actually, now that I think about it, there are bridges that do this too.

8. I see! Danke sehr. That would come in quite hand.
    Thanks,
    Dave

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Sperzel makes one. They call it a "D Thing". I haven't seen one in person, but their locking tuners are quite nice, so I'm sure this will be good quality.

www.sperzel.com

10. And Steve Lawson showed me that you can grab the (de)tuner's post & tug on it for a bit of vibrato.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm not sure they make a bass model, I believe it's for guitars only.

I'm a Hipshot fanatic...have them on everything but fretless and fivers (sorry, never needed to go below the B...)

12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'd talk to a dealer about the possibility of bulk discount before considering buying some kind of hipshot knockoff - the real deal is the only way to go. It's potentially a really troublesome component, because you're relying on in to stay in tune, and hold the tuning whilst being flipped. Hipshot have spent a long time developing that to the point where it works, and I'd say it's worth the investment... even if you have to buy one a month for the next few months.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

13. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Stew-Mac has the Gotoh-style for $69.77 ea, or $62.60 for three or more. That would save you some cash, maybe $50 overall!

Stewart-MacDonald

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks everybody guys! I know I'll need it in all of my basses as nowadays I find myself detuning to low A on most of my projects and this is nos comfortable nor practical as I have to use some strange digitations when detuned for a whole song when I really could only detune in a particular part of it. Stewart seems the chepest so far. I think I'll get them from them. Thanks a lot!!!!

ANDRUCA

15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Hipshot lists retail at 80ish, but in reality, they can be had, new, for less than that. I had to order mine through guitar center, as no one had my particular model in stock, and it was $63.00. Mine is just the reverse "pre-CBS" gearing, so its not like it was a cheap model or anything.