Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

detuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Jan 14, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i dont know if guitars have this but do you know how some basses have detuners? like a little switch that turns the E into a D. can i have that installed or is it only instrument specific?

2. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    no no no i need a bass version, dont really know why i mentioned guitar :p but yea. bass hehe.

thanks for the link thoug :)

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    OH MAN!! $69.77 for 1?!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Dude, you only need one!

You replace the tuner on your E string (on a 4 string) and thats it. You don't use them on every string, although I guess you could. If you did, it would really mess with your action.

5. Michael Manring's personal Zon Hyperbass uses them on every string, and he uses them to amazing effect.

6. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    yea. i found it already last night on that site, and i know i only need one. but im poor so $70 is alot of money, ::sigh:: alright, thanks guys :)

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Those things are great untill you find out the price. Then you realize it's just not worth it. It can be annoying to frequently tune and detune a bass but not $70 annoying.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree that what he does with a bass is cool but how many of us would actually use one on every string? Although I admit I wouldn't mind playing with it. :D

Retitled, being a poor boy myself, I agree that $70 is pretty steep for one tuner. I bought Gotohs for $30 a set!

9. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    $70 wouldnt be so expensive if i had a job. id spend $70 on it, i mean if your at a show and you need that specific tone tuned down for the next song and the wait time to get the secodn bass and unflug and plug in and all that is too much of a hassle for my lazy @$$ flipping a switch is just up my alley

10. I probably wouldn't use them the way Michael does much (retuning in the middle of the song to get different notes while playing harmonics etc), but it would be fun to play with tunings... but at $70 a tuner...