DETUNING 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oten, Jun 29, 2004.

1. oten

Jun 29, 2004

hi there,

i was wondering if you could give some good advice on this:

i have a 6-string Ibanez SDGR custom made model. after playing in rock then jazz bands i was invited to play a metal - PANTERA - style music.
    As i am petty satisfyied with the bass i have i would not want to sell it and by a 5-string in place. BUT - they want me to de-tune it by 1 whole tone down. :eyebrow: some say that, because of the wide and flat fingerboard of this 6-string, the string will not be tight enough to give a clear sound and the octaves might also get screwed...

what woundwind steel strings would you recommend to use??

thanks for help!

2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    dont detune then

Unless they play seven strings (or sixes (or baritones)) with a low A, there is not many reasons why you should detune. I would just detune the B string to A, only to not screw up my head with the new tuning (you should look into a hipshot detuner, which is a tuning machine that can tune down a step or two with a flick of a switch).

But as for strings...
    Anything with a 130+ B string
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Why don't you just try detuning it and see what happens? It's not as if that's some irreversible modification, after all!

You may need to adjust the truss rod a little bit after you do that--tuning down will give you a little less tension on the neck. You shouldn't need to adjust the intonation, though.

4. Some blues musicians also D-tune and have no problems with it. I do it mainly because singing four sets a night can be a serious strain on my vocal chords.

Anyway, if the B string feels a littly "flobby" then raise the action a tad and you should be fine.