Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detuning a Spector Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Nov 7, 2003.

1. i went to my local guitar center today and compared a spector rebop with the euro, both 4 stringers. Personally, I thought the tone and playability of the euro far outweighed the rebop. But, when I detuned the euro to D (my band sometimes uses detuning) the string rattled, i.e. hit the frets when i plucked it moderately hard. This also happened with the rebop but to a lesser extent. Granted, in the situation I could not crank the amp much so I could not tell if the rattling was being projected through the amp or if I was simply hearing it coming off the bass. Anyone have experience with detuning either of these spector basses? Also, on a side note, I was told that I should buy the rebop because it is a bolt-on, not a neck-thru, and if the neck ever warped I could replace it. Is there any logic in this? Do I really have to worry about the neck warping on a $1.4 grand european spector? Sorry for the lengthy post, I just figured I would ask all my questions in one shot since I plan on buying a spector some time next week to accompany my new EBS amp.
    EBS+Spector=pure balls!!! (and tone).

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have never had any of my neck-thru Spector basses warped or go out of true. If you can afford it, get the Euro.

As for the detuning, you can use a different gauge of string to lessen the rattle. Or raise the action slightly. If you play a lot of D-tune stuff this shouldn't bother your playing.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    They are both awesome basses. Raise the action slightly you will be fine. I drop mine all the time.

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    That's probably your problem right there. In my experiences it's very rare to play a bass in guitar center that was set up anywhere close to correct. Most likely the strings were all set too low in the first place, and detuning would have made it even worse. If you know how to set up an instrument I would bring my own tools there and mess with it a little, or make someone there look at it and get it set up right. YMMV.

5. Necks can warp on any bass depending on how they are stored and taken care of.

As for detuning, you can use a different gauge of string, which can increase the tension, which should stop the rattling as you call it.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    word, treena...i would say that any time you detune you should think about replacing the strings with a heavier guage in order to take the slop out you're going to get with low tension, and possibly even take care of some intonation issues.

7. Well, from the lone Czech Spector that I've played, you needn't worry...they are solid basses, and that one you played probably just needed to be set up correctly.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    From my perspective, if the truss rod still has some adjustment left, you can loosen it to get rid of the rattle.

I had a neck trough Charvel that played great at concert pitch with the truss rod relaxed almost all the way. When the band dropped down a half step, I had to switch instruments (although I never considered heavier strings).

I needed to relax the truss rod on my Fender basses, but they took to Eb tuning quite well.

9. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Who told you that?
    Of course, a neck-through instrument's neck cannot be replaced, but a Spector is a high quality instrument, and I wouldn't expect any problems.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you set it up properly, you should be able to avoid that rattling...

BTW: My US NS-4 through my EBS rig rawks!!!!:D

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For your information, Spectors European basses come to us (GC) with very low action and light gauge strings. I can barely play one in standard tuning without getting lots of buzz.

I make a note of it to put heavier gauge strings on a spector bass any time we restring one and do a set up.

Peace
    Nick

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Buy a fiver and stop worrying.