Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

detuning and actionheight...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 6, 2002.

1. okay i detuned my 5 stringer to ADGCF and it has a bad rattle problem..... ive tried to add relief with both truss rod and bridge... seems to help some but some adjustments just make it worse..... any help appreciated... ophh yeah its a Washburn XB125

2. firstly why were you tuning down that far?

My suggestion on top of your adjustments, maybe go up a thicker gauge on your strings??deal with the downtuning better.

:D:D

Merls

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I wouldn't change your neck relief, that has nothing to do with action. It'll just make your neck buzz on the high frets and have a big dip in the middle. Raise your action (saddle height) and get heavier gauge strings.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :confused:

Well, I'd say that the reason for the strings buzzing, is that when you downtuned the bass, you lowered the tension of the strings, hence loosing some neck relief. Compensate for this by adding more relief and/or heavier gauge strings. "Action" is a combination of many things, including neck relief, bridge saddle height, nut height, quality of fretjob, rigidity of neck, strings, etc etc. Saying that neck relief has nothing to do with action is.... well, wrong.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    It doesn't have anything to do with action. But it can make it feel like you have higher action if you have too much neck relief. But in reality you just have a dip in your neck. My friend was complaining about the action of his guitar, and I told him the action wasn't the problem cause his guitar's neck was very warped. I adjusted the truss rod and the action ended up being too low after all!