Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detuning fret noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spikeh, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Hey all.

I've just started experimenting with some tunes that require detuning and I'm experiencing a lot of fret noise when tuning the E string down to a D or a C (and other strings, but not as much).

I'm aware WHY this happens, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do (besides from raising the action) to stop the noise? Or any techniques I could use... the song's quite fast & heavy, so I chose to play it with a pick instead of my fingers (which is how I usually play). I don't fancy playing about with the action in the middle of a a jam / gig, or setting it high by default, as I do a lot of slapping too...

2. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Heavier strings and/or higher action. If action isn't an option, try either a 2nd bass in a dropped tuning or get a Hipshot drop-D tuner and you can switch in and out, even mid-song.

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I presume a Hipshot drop-D tuner is an effects pedal or something?

And heavier strings? I would have thought that would make it even worse?!

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

So would I be right in thinking that heavier strings would be better for slapping too? Especially detuned slapping?

Think I'll go out and buy me some extra heavy srtings this weekend!