Detuning my bass, what strings do I need?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Jun 16, 2004.

1. I was wondering what strings I need in order to get a clean sound when I detune my bass to the tuning of lets say Fiedly of Korn or the bassist of SOAD. So I'm mainly asking, if I want to tune my strings to a lower note, do I need to change strings? I currently have my strings in the BEADG tuning.

Also, if anyone can send me a link or info on the different kinds of strings, and what their used for (what kind of sound? or style of music?) I see these .60, and stuff like that and honestly have no clue what it means.

thanks in advance for your response
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I believe Fieldy is down to A, (lower than your low B) and Shavo uses Drop C (CGCF), to cover both tunings I would suggest that you try ADGCF tuning, with every string one step down.

I would try detuning your B to A and then purchasing a heavy four string set, or even a light gauge five string set.
    Types of String.

1. Flatwounds - think old school thumpy sound (Motown), you probably don't want this sound for detuned NuMetal.
    2. Roundwounds - more modern clear sound
    3. Nylon - even thumpier than flats, not ideal for NuMetal.

Materials string can be made from

1. Stainless steel - very bright, hard on frets and fingers (Junk or Fusion),
    2. Nickel - not as bright, easier on frets (Rock and Blues),
    3. Nylon - nylon wrapped around a regular string

This isn't a complete list be any means, but hopefully it will help you. It is your sound, so you have to decide how you want it.

Strings type and material are varied so finding the kind you like could be hard. I use nickel round wounds, D'daddario XL Lights, and I love them. Great all around string for tapping, fingerstyle, picking, slapping, and chords. Bright at first, but never brittle sounding like a steel. Good durability (about 2 months for me)
  3. I'd say get a slightly heavier gauge than what you're using right now to ensure that your strings have good tension when you're drop tuned. ADGCF is a good tuning to use. Try a 50-135 gauge of whatever string you'd like (see abark's post for info).
  4. [​IMG]