1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Detuning....need some experienced opinons.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. I play alot of stuff in E, but also alot of stuff that's detuned down to C#.

I have a 4-string, I don't want a 5, and I can't afford a second bass for an alternate tuning at this time.

For those who've gone through this, would I be be better off tuning to C# F# B E,

or tuning to the bottom 4 of a 5 string, eg. BEAD?

I thinking the first option will allow me to play in-tune* with the rest of the band, but the second option will let me play in standard E without having to transpose anything...I'll just be short one string on top.

Hmmmm....I probably just answered my own question, but I'm still interested in opinons.

* Figuritively, not literally

2. IME, the only time a bass has been tuned to C# F# B E was Jaquo III-X's subcontra bass tuned to C#1 F#1 B#1(bottom string on a 5) and E2(Bottom string on a four) While you could tune to C#2 F#2 B2 E3...That's in 4ths...Your band could do what mine's done before...play everything that's in Standard down one step(EbAbDbGb) and when you have to tune down to C# just drop the Eb one step down to C#...Just my 2cents...I used to only have one bass....But it was a 5...so I don't have that problem...now I've just bought another bass, and had another given to me...so I have 2 5's and 2 4's....
    Anyways

DWB

3. C#1 F#1 B1 E2 is what I'm tuned to right now....

B0 E1 A1 D2 is what I'm thinking of switching to....

That way, I can still play E tuned songs no problem, but I can also play C# stuff on the 5th string.

The problem I've run into with the C# tuning is that I like to pedal on the open strings between notes, which I can no longer do if I don't have an open string in the right tuning (and E2 is just to high to pedal on IMO).

Again, I think I already answered my own question, but thanks for the ideas.