Detuning Problems with Dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JJBluegrasser, Dec 15, 2003.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi folks,
    I was wondering if anyone had experienced any problems with removing and reinstalling Thomastik Dominants. I know that Obligatos are known for not being worth anything after the tension is removed from them. Since Thomastiks are made similarly (I think, at least), do they have the same problem.

I ask because I just bought a used set of Spirocores (Mittle) and I'd love to throw them on and try them out, but I just put the Dominants on 2 months ago. I can play the Dominants out if I need to, but I was feeling a little impatient.

Any thoughts?

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI

I had a set of dominants a few years ago... They were detuned, removed, put back on, etc., and I don't recall having a problem with them -- always sounded and felt the same to me.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Let's not exaggerate here, it's better to avoid detuning strings too often, but they still remain more playable than not.

Can you figure out how a string is gonna sound on your bass just looking at it ? Once you've got the string variant of G.A.S. there's not much you can do except get a Black & Decker "à la Donosaur" to avoid wasting both money AND time.