deuling banjos for your bass???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ldiezman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    So has anyone ever played deuling banjos on you bass? I can play part of it.. but of course I need another bass player...... I wish i knew someone around here... just wondering if anyone else has attempted this...??? :)
  2. so after the part where you echo each other does it go into a slap off or something?, i don't think your going to be able to play the original part on a bass. And i think deuling banjos was more banjo vs. guitar.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My guitarist and I play that for fun sometimes.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    It can be done. Check out Stu Hamm's "Country Music - A Night In Hell", where he quotes "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" then proceeds to tear it apart.

The banjo player in my bluegrass band HATES it when I pick up an electric and start playing that. I usually tack the theme from "Beverly Hillbillies" on the end. :D :D
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Ahh yes but It can be done!!! why? because I am doing it. Granted I do change it a little bit so I can play it on bass, it is relatively the same..... :) :)
  6. trussman

Jun 16, 2001
    To bad your so far away. I would like to find someone closer to me with the same taste. You know that crazy hillbilly metal sound.I'm in Alvin,Tx a LONG way from you. THE TRUSSMAN
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    that would be tasty if someone around here could play it with me..... i am not in to hillbilly metal though :) I like funk and rock and what not... but if someone can just play the other part with me I think it would work most excellently..
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have the music/tabs (I know, I know, the T word...:rolleyes: ) for Dueling Banjos? For the life of me, I can't figure it by ear...
  9. Sorry, I have too many teeth in my mouth. :p
  10. It uses the mixolydian scale (2-4|1-2-4|1-2-4)

thats the basic part of the song...i think its in the right key??
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    2bit what do you mean by (2-4l12-4) thing??? i don't get it. are you trying to show the fretting of a mixolydian scale.... If anyone doesn't know what that mode is, it is simply a major scale with a flatted 7th..... you just learned a new scale.. impress your friends.. but don't tell them how easy it was..