1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

deuling banjos for your bass???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ldiezman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    So has anyone ever played deuling banjos on you bass? I can play part of it.. but of course I need another bass player...... I wish i knew someone around here... just wondering if anyone else has attempted this...??? :)

2. so after the part where you echo each other does it go into a slap off or something?, i don't think your going to be able to play the original part on a bass. And i think deuling banjos was more banjo vs. guitar.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

My guitarist and I play that for fun sometimes.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    It can be done. Check out Stu Hamm's "Country Music - A Night In Hell", where he quotes "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" then proceeds to tear it apart.

The banjo player in my bluegrass band HATES it when I pick up an electric and start playing that. I usually tack the theme from "Beverly Hillbillies" on the end. :D :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ahh yes but It can be done!!! why? because I am doing it. Granted I do change it a little bit so I can play it on bass, it is relatively the same..... :) :)

6. trussman

trussman

Jun 16, 2001
    Alvin,Texas
    To bad your so far away. I would like to find someone closer to me with the same taste. You know that crazy hillbilly metal sound.I'm in Alvin,Tx a LONG way from you. THE TRUSSMAN

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that would be tasty if someone around here could play it with me..... i am not in to hillbilly metal though :) I like funk and rock and what not... but if someone can just play the other part with me I think it would work most excellently..

8. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have the music/tabs (I know, I know, the T word...:rolleyes: ) for Dueling Banjos? For the life of me, I can't figure it by ear...

9. Sorry, I have too many teeth in my mouth. :p

10. It uses the mixolydian scale (2-4|1-2-4|1-2-4)

G--------------------------------------------
    D-2--3--5--2--3-----2----------------------
    A-------------------5----3--5-----------------
    E--------------------------------------------

thats the basic part of the song...i think its in the right key??

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    2bit what do you mean by (2-4l12-4) thing??? i don't get it. are you trying to show the fretting of a mixolydian scale.... If anyone doesn't know what that mode is, it is simply a major scale with a flatted 7th..... you just learned a new scale.. impress your friends.. but don't tell them how easy it was..