Devastated....then kinda excited

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hey guys

Well, last night, our singer dropped the bombshell. He and his girlfriend are moving to the other end of the country.

So, its the end of 3 years in a successful, excellent band where we all had the same tastes and had a real chemistry. At first, I was pretty devastated - I didn't see it coming. we've still got bookings to honour. we'll be playing out till our April shows, then everything after has to be cancelled. We're planning a big farewell show where we will expect mass wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But the thing is, as painful as it was to learn of our upcoming demise, I am now sort of excited. I'm already starting to think of what I want to do next, who I want to play with, maybe a change in style etc.

Our band couldn't simply find a new member - we're a three piece and very tight, as musicians and friends and it wouldn't work to transplant that with another person. Maybe I will keep working with the drummer, but we'll definitely be doing something else than what we do now.

I know heaps of you guys have been in this situation, so what advice for someone who has been in a musical relationship for three years? I feel a bit like I've just broken up with a partner.

2. Sorry to here this man.
    But I see you have an open mind about it. You are already a bit excited about the future. I'm sure you'll be OK. Have a fantastic farewell show and I wish you all the best in your new musical projects.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Peter, I think you have the right attitude, look at it as an opportunity, not a negative thing!

I have "been there, done that" a few times in my "career", and typically I have ended up in a better playing situation (although the last time I didn't, because I've been "inactive" for about 3 years now...still involved in music, but not gigging)., I really need to get back to playing...but, getting married in 2 months, so it'll just have to wait a bit longer!
  4. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    Man, that stinks. I agree with what gard says though.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Bands come and go... Good luck in your next project.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Plant some used condoms in "Yoko"s" car. Viola, you got your singer back.....

Just a thought.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

bwahahahaha, oh man....
  8. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    One of my favorite Rocky quotes

Mickey to Rocky in regards to Adrian:

"Women weaken legs!!!"
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You have the right attitude. End it on a possitive note and then move on. I think you're fortunate to have a band that had sucess and lasted more than a year.

If you play well with and like the drummer, try to hang on to him. They are hard to find.
  10. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    The same thing happened to me in my last band and we had a major label contract being redrafted greenlit by columbia and sony.
    Beeyatch druggie chicky pulled a very talented vocalist right outta the band.

The band I'm in right now is driving me up a wall and we have a multi label showcase in 2 months.
    I want to kill the singer again!!!! but this time he is much less talented than the last so he gets less tolerance (weird that mentality- how we all deal with lead singer syndrome)

Bands are a mess always. A bunch of artists=babies, druggies or alchoholics, or over sensitive types easily influnces by women/drugs who fulfill thier neediness and dependancy.

Wanting the music star dream is a hard one to let go and a bitch to achieve. Its definately the hard way.
    I contmeplate selling both my business and getting my law degree almost every few days.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you to A.)
    "fall into the right group of fellas" is really the luck of the draw.
    B.) then its the being in the right place at the C.) right time with the d.) right person listening, E.) playing the right music and F.) getting the right deal and G.) having the rest of the world ready for it to buy it up

seems much harder than going to 3 years of law school!?:bawl: :spit: :rollno: :scowl: :D :ninja: :help: :mad: :eek: :meh: :confused: :D :bag: :help: