Devastated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Well I finally got my used Spector Rebop today. The box looked fine and the bass was packed well. Then I find a huge chunk of wood broken away between the bottom of the neck and pick up.

The store will honor a full refund but now I'm devistated. ;-(

2. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That is a major bummer. Was it new? Can they replace it?

3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    That sucks. UPS or FED EX? Glad you will get a full refund. I picked up my Spector in the TB classifieds, you might look there if you're going to get another.

4. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Thanks for the support. It was used and I paid $800 for it. It came FED EX ground and was on the road for only one day. No visible damage to the box. I'm thinking it might have been from shock and not being crushed.

I will buy another but it's hard to find anything in my budget. Now I have to drive over an hour to get my money back.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Ouch... Always hard to see a bass not make it safely home. Hope you find a suitable replacement.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    And that "devastates" you?? Have the store mail you a check, then take a deep breath.

7. $800's pretty steep for a Rebop. You can find a better deal on the classifieds here. I payed $800 for my Rebop 5DLX years ago, with hardshell, shipped, 2nd owner...and that was probably a bit high.

If you're really looking forward to a new purchase, just to find out that it's not what you expected, it can be dream shattering. I agree with the OP on this one.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The family dog getting hit by a truck is "devastating". Having your business destroyed in a flood is "dream shattering". The OP ordered a used, foreign-made, mass produced mid-level bass guitar that was received damaged. The shop gave him a full refund. If that's "dream shattering" then the OP has some very modest dreams. If such a thing happened to me, I'd be hard pressed to call myself "irked". "Peeved", maybe? Nah.. I"d probably be "miffed".

Immigrant likes this.
  9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    So, the line you're choosing to draw in the sand today is over what adjective a stranger on the internet used to describe his emotions?

Maybe you should be asking yourself why a situation like this has that much of an effect on you...

10. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Goratory-sour grapes out now!!

Aug 13, 2009
    Dude that's a bummer as well as my nightmare

11. Yeah, totally agree
    You must be quite a hard man!

12. Why should where it's made or how many there are of them factor into his emotions? He was waiting for THAT bass...so he could play THAT bass...and now he can't. It doesn't matter if it's an American Fender, a German Warwick, an Czech Spector (which is hardly a "mid-level bass" & I would take over any Warwick, any day), or some home brew toilet seat bass. It was THE bass he wanted.

Exactly my sentiments.

+1

omgitzrick likes this.
  13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    (Devastated is a verb)

It has no effect on me. That's the point. If one decides to start a thread entitled "devastated", I expect to read about... well... devastation. You know, something like "My granny was bringing my late grandfather's priceless collection of 50's Fender guitars back from England and the ship hit an iceberg and sank. All the guitars were lost, along with granny".

To open a thread with that title and read "I bought an unremarkable bass. It was damaged in shipping. I received a refund. I have to drive an hour to pick my refund up" is a bit of a dramatic overstatement, to say the least.

Yes. Apparently I"m completely insensitive to misery and indescribable suffering.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'd be pissed off.

Turkeypills likes this.
  15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    SMCD: Pound sand man, let the OP do his thing

Guess what though, you're right... 1st world problems but EVERY thread on here is 1st world problems !!

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    the fact that we have a computer to bitch about our FWP (first world problems) is a FWP.:unsure:

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    So what you're saying is I'm a jerk, but I'm right?

I can accept that. That is to say, that revelation does not devastate me.

anzoid likes this.
  18. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Actually, "devastated" is an adjective. "Devastate" is a verb.

And I would be "pissed off" (adjective) if it were my bass.

:D

Timmah, Craig82 and HolmeBass like this.
  19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I agree with you. I wouldn't rate that up there with life's big disappointments.

20. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR

Maybe you're missing the fact that this word can and is being used subjectively. Your threshold for what constitutes devastation is obviously not the same as his, so why even take issue with that? I'm going to assume you're not meaning to come across as harshly on this as you're sounding, but right now one cannot help but think that your example is the only acceptable level of what would have made you okay with his use of the word, and that seems unnecessarily harsh.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021